What's new

Stranger things on Asus Zenwifi XD4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

optimistic

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I have a couple of questions about the Asus Zenwifi XD4. I use it as an AP with ethernet backhaul, and I'm quite happy with it. Let's see if you can help me a little:

1 .- I see hidden SSID's, which I understand there should not be since I use backhaul with ethernet. is this correct?
2 .- the Channel bandwidth is always 40mhz in the 5ghz band, when it does not match with almost other competitors. shouldn't it be 80mhz?

Has something similar happened to you?

Hello everyone,
I have a couple of questions about the Asus Zenwifi XD4. I use it as an AP with ethernet backhaul, and I'm quite happy with it. Let's see if you can help me a little:

1 .- I see hidden SSID's, which I understand there should not be since I use backhaul with ethernet. is this correct?
2 .- the Channel bandwidth is always 40mhz in the 5ghz band, when it does not match with almost other competitors. shouldn't it be 80mhz?

Has something similar happened to you?
1. aimesh > system setting > ethernet backhaul mode > on
doing this will force the device to use backhaul all the time releasing the 5ghz wifi for you to connect your device too, you should see hidden wifi coming from your ap after turning on this

2. maybe it a standard compatibility setting? you can always change to 20/40/80 to allow the device to decide the appropriate bandwidth depending on the device connected
change it back if it causes wifi connection issue with legacy devices

doing this will force the device to use backhaul all the time releasing the 5ghz wifi for you to connect your device too, you should see hidden wifi coming from your ap after turning on this

2. maybe it a standard compatibility setting? you can always change to 20/40/80 to allow the device to decide the appropriate bandwidth depending on the device connected
1.- That's OK for me, then.
2.- I have tried with just my mobile(galaxy s10+) connected to 5ghz and force 80mhz, imposible. I get 40mhz. I don't understand. I works very well at 40mhz, but I think would be better at 80mhz.

I have Ethernet backhaul on as well and see the hidden ssids also. But I have mine set to 80mhz and my devices are connecting at 80mhz.

I have Ethernet backhaul on as well and see the hidden ssids also. But I have mine set to 80mhz and my devices are connecting at 80mhz.
How do you check it? I use Netspot app, and asuswrt wireless log. Netspot says my SSID is 40 mhz bandwidth, the thing is ASUS System log- Wireless shows in 5ghz band(I have deleted mac's):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSID: "ASUS"
noise: -91 dBm Channel: 36/80
BSSID: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 42 80MHz (0xe02a)
Primary channel: 36
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-15
Supported VHT MCS:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode : AP Only

DFS status: state IDLE time elapsed 0ms radar channel cleared by DFS none

Channel Information
----------------------------------------
Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

Stations List
----------------------------------------
idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes Yes -51dBm ac Yes Yes No No 2 80M 780M 6M 00:04:07
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes Yes -51dBm ax No Yes Yes No 2 80M 1201.0M 1201.0M 00:04:38
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes Yes -53dBm ax Yes Yes No No 2 80M 1020.8M 6M 01:05:46
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes Yes -50dBm ac Yes Yes Yes No 2 80M 866.7M 433.3M 10:06:55
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BW 80 means that devices are connecting at 80 mhz?

I was seeing hidden ssids as well. I thought I has done something wrong.
I'm very curious why does it make a hidden ssid after turning on ethernet backhaul?

I was seeing hidden ssids as well. I thought I has done something wrong.
I'm very curious why does it make a hidden ssid after turning on ethernet backhaul?
I think it's an asus bug. But Let's see what the forum says.
Were you able to get 80 mhz in the 5ghz band?

I use multiple apps, they all say 80mhz. The wireless log says 80mhz and yes the 80M means that client is connected at 80mhz.

I don't..... No info online that I could find either...

I have two Android tablets that have the same WIFI analyzer. The Samsung does show correctly my 160 MHz 5 GHz from the router. The Lenovo shows it as 80 MHz. A difference in tablet WIFI adapters. The hidden 5 GHz could be WIFI remotes such as Roku.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!