What's new

Strong password generation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Thought I would share, considering the recent DDOS and other issues... these can easily be done via command line - the OpenSSL one is handy, as many 3rd party Firmware (like AsusWRT-RMerlin) have CLI access and OpenSSL already in place...

Using OpenSSL

openssl rand -base64 14

Using /dev/urandom

< /dev/urandom tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c14; echo

Using GPG

gpg --gen-random --armor 1 14

I still use a very old tool from PC Tools called "Password Utilities" (passutils.exe) for generating secure passwords when I need random ones. It even generates phonetical pronounciations, to help avoid those o,0 or O confusions.

Code:
KzaX%X58 (KILO - zulu - alpha - X-RAY - Percentage - X-RAY - Five - Eight)

I still use a very old tool from PC Tools called "Password Utilities" (passutils.exe) for generating secure passwords when I need random ones. It even generates phonetical pronounciations, to help avoid those o,0 or O confusions.

pwgen is also very good - it's in most of the mainstream linux repo's as a package (both Debian and RedHat based)

Example below - and it does have some switches that can help with things...

Code:
$ pwgen 14
Iesh6ohWaeth5d yoogoBooz8kohP wo0IkouHo2eg1t Aewie0shuqu7Xa Ohmo2eigh0chai
ZoxahDeuG1vage aon8eizaeMooYo caiJeRulooth2i de7cueSha9geem Zei8AeHaNgooPh
lipheiZe9hohci Koh5aetiimae1N toxach3Mai0ahl ahcahyah9Do8ia shooQu9hohthie
Veesheij2aenge ahJ7ung4ohzaht Goo5Ohj9ieX8ei Eec2xeiThi7aif oocuGh5aisaeCo

The OpenSSL trick is nice, because most *nix distro's have some version of OpenSSL installed...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!