What's new

STUN 5.2GB what is it ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mynameisjohndoe2024

New Around Here
In the logs I have noticed one wireless client has Uploaded around 2.95GB and downloaded about 2.3GB showing in LOGS as "STUN" What would it be, maybe Facetime, Google meet ,video Call ?. Seems lot of bandwidth for 1/2 day ? Any ideas.

The only time I've used stun was for a sip phone (VoIP). I don't see that using that much data, but quite possibly video call could.
Incidentally Google run their own stun servers that are open for anyone to use, for any reason. Can you trace this data usage to a certain device? If you have an Asus router you could activate the "Statistics" in "Traffic Analyzer" to see future traffic usage by protocol and device.

STUN is used by many applications - as @Ripshod mentions, STUN is commonly used for VoIP apps - Teams uses it, as well as Zoom, webex, and others that might use WebRTC like Google Meet.

Oddly enough - Ookla's Speedtest.Net uses STUN as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!