What's new

sudden blocking of website on Merlin 384.19

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried it by using the clone MAC address button in the WAN page and that did it for me.
So that means that the connection is blocked somewhere based on the MAC address.
Wouldn't that mean it's a problem with my modem or a router at my ISP in that case?
The IP address assigned to you by your ISP's DHCP servers is based on your MAC address. So by changing your router's MAC address your ISP gave you a different IP address. That strongly suggests that the server you are trying to connect to had blacklisted the first IP address. So that would be an issue with the remote server's firewall configuration.

The IP address assigned to you by your ISP's DHCP servers is based on your MAC address. So by changing your router's MAC address your ISP gave you a different IP address. That strongly suggests that the server you are trying to connect to had blacklisted the first IP address. So that would be an issue with the remote server's firewall configuration.

Thanks.

This blacklisting often happens when one of your ISP's customers with a similar IP address to you has been engaging in malicious behaviour. Rather than put just that one IP address on the popular blacklists the entire subnet is put on the list, and you are included as a consequence.

Success! MAC cloning did the trick for me as well. What still doesn't make sense to me is: if my WAN IP was the same with both 384.18 and 384.19 ; what caused that 1 site to suddenly become blocked after the upgrade? And with different routers and the same WAN IP, things worked fine. Maybe this just one of those random "s**t happens" moments? I dunno, but happy that something as simple as cloning did the trick. Thanks again to all of you for chiming in with suggestions - and the solution. Cheers !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!