What's new

Suggestion for antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermaltake

Regular Contributor
I have Asus rt-ac88u with merlin firmware on it. I would like to intensify signl a bit if thats possible. Would it make signal a little better if I put two tp-link 8dbi antennas ?

What is your goal? Trying to service client further away? Are all clients on one floor or spread across multiple? Are you making equiv changes to the client antennas? Are you in a congested area like an apt complex?

I am trying to boost 2.4Ghz signal a bit, so that my cameras in the apartmant that is 3-4 walls away (same floor) can have a better connection to my router.

And I'm wondering would it harm that I have 2 different antennas on the router it is 4x4 with that same default antennas and now I would change two of them.

I put higher gain antennae on my old Linksys 54gl and it worked fine, although my neighbors may not have liked it. That was 2.4g only, don't know what happens with 5g.

What issues are you having with the cameras? Frame rate lowering, frozen video, no signal? Are you using NVR software or any other means that can display frame rate? I maintain a few systems that have some wifi cams and have been down those roads.

What issues are you having with the cameras? Frame rate lowering, frozen video, no signal? Are you using NVR software or any other means that can display frame rate? I maintain a few systems that have some wifi cams and have been down those roads.

I put AP in that apartmant because antennas in Dahua NVR have poor range, so AP Ubiquiti Loco M5 with wifi inside can boost signal to my router, and now sometimes when I open software for cameras they are offline and I have to wait for them to get online again few seconds. When signal is good they are always online without dropping. It varies around -41dB signal on that AP in that apartmant that is 3-4 walls away from my router, but I would like to boost it a bit more if it's possible with those antennas.

I put AP in that apartmant because antennas in Dahua NVR have poor range, so AP Ubiquiti Loco M5 with wifi inside can boost signal to my router, and now sometimes when I open software for cameras they are offline and I have to wait for them to get online again few seconds. When signal is good they are always online without dropping. It varies around -41dB signal on that AP in that apartmant that is 3-4 walls away from my router, but I would like to boost it a bit more if it's possible with those antennas.

Your NVR is connected to the network via wifi? What kind of software are you opening to view cameras and how is that device connected?

Your NVR is connected to the network via wifi? What kind of software are you opening to view cameras and how is that device connected?

Yes, NVR it is connected on Ubiquiti Loco M5 and that Loco M5 is connected trough wifi to my router. I am using SmartPSS latest version of software for my dahua cameras.

Last edited:
So what do you think would it harm if I mount those two different antennas than the other two on router, and would those two make any interference or something with other two ?

So your cameras are connected to the router via wifi 2.4ghz, and the nvr is connected via 5ghz using the m5 in client mode and wired connection to nvr? The best possible arrangement would be ethernet from each camera to the nvr or to a switch and then the nvr or pc running nvr software. There are less preferable methods that will also work. What brand/model are your cameras and nvr?

I'm still not clear on what the network layout is here. Are the cameras WiFi as well as the NVR?

A more focused antenna "may" help some on an AP, but if the client antenna sucks, it may not help much. It is for sure a balancing act between the client and the AP on the gains. If the client has crappy antenna, there is only so much you can do.

Cameras are connected to nvr with wire. Ubiquiti Loco M5 (connected to NVR via POE) is just acting as amplifier for wifi signal(2.4Ghz) because my Asus can't reach nvr(bad internal antennas) from my place to that apartmant that is 3-4 walls away.

So my question is, if I mount those two tp-link 8dBi antennas on my Asus, would signal be better to Ubiquiti Loco M5, and without any inteference to the other devices connected to my Asus ?

And I am also worried if those two different antennas from two original ones will make some problems with 2.4 or 5Ghz network generally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameras are connected to nvr with wire. Ubiquiti Loco M5 (connected to NVR via POE) is just acting as amplifier for wifi signal(2.4Ghz) because my Asus can't reach nvr(bad internal antennas) from my place to that apartmant that is 3-4 walls away.

So my question is, if I mount those two tp-link 8dBi antennas on my Asus, would signal be better to Ubiquiti Loco M5, and without any inteference to the other devices connected to my Asus ?

And I am also worried if those two different antennas from two original ones will make some problems with 2.4 or 5Ghz network generally.

The antennae the router shipped with have been optimized in every regard to all the electronics prefacing them. While you may see a better signal to the Loco M5, it will almost certainly come at the cost of worst coverage for all other devices.

If you want to experiment, you may find something that works well enough and be almost worth it in the end. There is no guarantee though you'll find a solution where you just add range, without affecting everything else.

Instead of testing multiple antennae combinations, I would be considering the RT-AX88U instead to test with, including using another router as a wired AP that is physically closer to the Loco M5 you need to connect to.

Last edited by a moderator:
The antennae the router shipped with have been optimized in every regard to all the electronics prefacing them. While you may see a better signal to the Loco M5, it will almost certainly come at the cost of worst coverage for all other devices.

If you want to experiment, you may find something that works well enough and be almost worth it in the end. There is no guarantee though you'll find a solution where you just add range, without affecting everything else.

Instead of testing multiple antennae combinations, I would be considering the RT-AX88U instead to test with, including using another router as a wired AP that is physically closer to the Loco M5 you need to connect to.

Why do you suggest RT-AX88U, what are the difference between RT-AC88U and RT-AX88U, except processor, memory... they have as I see same dBi antennas, only few "commercial" unimportant stuff are on it, that I probably won't every use.

Why do you suggest RT-AX88U, what are the difference between RT-AC88U and RT-AX88U, except processor, memory... they have as I see same dBi antennas, only few "commercial" unimportant stuff are on it, that I probably won't every use.

The main reason is the reports from users who have used both and find the RT-AX88U superior. ;)

As much as most people take WiFi for granted, superior WiFi is usually only provided on the latest platforms with updated drivers, possibly the os kernel, and advanced antennae design and the latest RF theory applied to AP's available. Even when almost everything else is kept equal. ;)

Seeing a customer's older set up that is still running something from 3 and 4+ years ago in the consumer space, is eyeopening when it is replaced with a more modern example.

While I don't normally suggest any 'AX' models right now because of their draft (hardware and software) status, I can't ignore the advances they may have in the RF side of the equation. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!