What's new

Suggestions for a new wireless router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ngerasimatos

Regular Contributor
Since we are extending our work from home until the end of 2021 we have been allocated up to $300 USD to purchase any home networking equipment needed.

My networking setup at home is currently decent, no issues really to report, but I figured since my current router, an Asus RT-87U is EOL/EOS I may as well look into a replacement.

I have about 25 wi-fi devices at home connected to my router across 2.4G and 5G bands, smart home, IOT devices, a few phones, tablets, laptops, and some wireless cameras. Internet backbone is COX gigabit service. Wi-Fi 6 seems interesting to me, OFDMA, and wireless AX could be nice benefits long term as today only a few of my devices will support these features.

My main concerns are coverage and low latency throughput. I will gladly trade greater bandwidth in exchange for a lower latency connection. I also need the router to support DOH and Open VPN, though Wire Guard would be fantastic. House is two-story, new build, 3500 sq ft. The current RT-87U has zero issues penetrating the walls. In my office which is the farthest away from the router, I get 610Mbps to my laptop on 5G.

Any suggestions?

Forget about DoH (see RMerlin's response to that useless feature).

RT-AX86U plus RMerlin 386.1 Beta 2 (currently) is highly stable and the lowest latency router I have used so far (I too have 1Gbps up/down symmetrical ISP FTTH service).

There are other routers that may be considered, but they don't quite reach the peaks the RT-AX86U does.

Those routers are the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U.

The latest 386.1 builds have the latest OpenVPN 2.5 support. Wireguard, I'm not sure of (not proven enough for me).

RT-AX86U plus RMerlin 386.1 Beta 2 (currently) is highly stable and the lowest latency router I have used so far (I too have 1Gbps up/down symmetrical ISP FTTH service).

There are other routers that may be considered, but they don't quite reach the peaks the RT-AX86U does.

The latest 386.1 builds have the latest OpenVPN 2.5 support. Wireguard, I'm not sure of (not proven enough for me).

I understand many people's views about DOH, but I am still an advocate of it depending on how it's implemented.

You can't set up 'crap' to smell like a rose, no matter what you do. A post from over a year ago doesn't change that.

Note that you're simply trading one non-trustworthy source for another.

Run Unbound_Manager and be your own authoritative DNS server and forget this rabbit hole. Don't try to re-invent the way the web works (like DoH is attempting for some type of marketing glory that I fail to see). Use actual best practices to minimize your real risk instead. ;)

For $300, assuming your wireless is already adequate as you said, I’d actually probably just build or buy something like a pfSense or Linux firewall appliance like the SG-2100 and just put your current router in AP mode. Gives a lot more flexibility with things like IP/malicious site blocking/Wireguard etc if needed/wanted. Aside from that you’d likely be more secure with more frequent updates/security fixes if that’s a major concern vs a standard home router.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi 6 seems interesting to me, OFDMA, and wireless AX

In testing done by the Tim Higgins it seems OFDMA is half baked and don't really do much of anything. It seems right now it's just marketing hype.

I too am now considering a new Router, I'm guessing (if you remember my issues) this would be the one to recommend? Dubious about going Asus again.

@OFark, I remember you, but reading every single post on this forum pushes other details out of my head. :)

Refresh my memory (link). But I don't see anything show-stopping about the RT-AX86U for anyone's 'general' home use. And the performance from 1 or 2 in a wired AiMesh configuration is the best I've seen to date.

Asus RT-AX86U review: The best Wi-Fi 6 router for the money - CNET

@OFark, I remember you, but reading every single post on this forum pushes other details out of my head. :)

Refresh my memory (link). But I don't see anything show-stopping about the RT-AX86U for anyone's 'general' home use. And the performance from 1 or 2 in a wired AiMesh configuration is the best I've seen to date.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...but-its-still-offering-up-the-internet.66005/

AiMesh Wired? I thought wireless was the only way mesh worked?

@OFark, thank you for the link.

AiMesh can be wireless, between two or more AiMesh routers with at least one being an AiMesh node. It can also be wired (highest performance possible) with the same stipulations. Or, a mixture of these two.

Additionally, AiMesh can also be set up with a router (can be a non-Asus or non-AiMesh, Asus router) connected via Ethernet to an AiMesh router in AiMesh AP mode. This 'main' AiMesh AP can now support additional AiMesh nodes (wired or wirelessly) too.

You may want to hold off before upgrading to the Beta 2 firmware (Beta 3 seems like it's coming fast, and with more fixes, of course) if you need the utmost stability in your network.

If, on the other hand, you want to have a cutting-edge network now, (that may need a bit of polishing that is coming in the near future), the RT-AX86U is by far the least expensive way to achieve that today.

Nothing in your previous thread suggests it isn't a good fit. And the PS5 (gamer!) automatically makes the lowest latency router (RT-AX86U) the number one preference too.

If you can wire the AiMesh node, an RT-AX58U may be all you need (or any other higher-end AX class Asus router). Otherwise, if you need a wireless connection and you have extremely fast Gbps ISP speeds, an RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U (whichever is more appropriate for your use. The 'AX88U has a 4x4:4 2.4GHz radio, the 'AX86U is 'only' 3x3:3, and of course, cost becomes a criterion here too).

For maximum performance on a wired backhaul, you may consider 2x RT-AX86U over their 2.5GbE links. Currently, no other RMerlin supported router supports this setup. And it is working extremely well for me. :)

If you can wire the AiMesh node, an RT-AX58U may be all you need (or any other higher-end AX class Asus router). Otherwise, if you need a wireless connection and you have extremely fast Gbps ISP speeds, an RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U (whichever is more appropriate for your use. The 'AX88U has a 4x4:4 2.4GHz radio, the 'AX86U is 'only' 3x3:3, and of course, cost becomes a criterion here too).

For maximum performance on a wired backhaul, you may consider 2x RT-AX86U over their 2.5GbE links. Currently, no other RMerlin supported router supports this setup. And it is working extremely well for me. :)
Hmmm, this is what I figured. (Having read that thread) I am surprised there are no Access Points, without all the router business, smaller and cheaper. Seems like if you're offering a feature like AIMesh, there should be some specific hardware to use as satellites.

If mere 'satellites' were an option, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Such focused and therefore self-limiting hardware is not my idea of useful hardware to have around.

Many customers can (and have) use their old routers as Media Bridge nodes for themselves or relatives, given them to their children as they moved out, or sold them as routers to others.

When a focused 'satellite' is past its prime, it ends up in the dump. That seems a waste. Give me a full-blown router any day. Even if it is more expensive, it is exponentially more useful.