What's new

Summer House set up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dhiggs1975

New Around Here
I am looking at setting up a wireless hub and one hardwired lan point in my summerhouse that we are building next month.

I only have one point left in my router and so was going to run a network cable all the way down but I am unsure what to do next.

I want to be able to extend my network down there and have WiFi but also one hard wired lan for the work laptop .

What piece of kit is best to get. Please explain in nice easy terms as a bit of a newbie here

Was looking at this but not sure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWUJU8H/?tag=smallncom-21

Thanks

Most any router these days has an AP mode. So you don't have to buy a purpose-built AP.

If you want an Ethernet port and connect an AP, then get a 5 port gigabit switch. Plug the cable from the upstairs router into it, then plug the other kit into the switch.

Most any router these days has an AP mode. So you don't have to buy a purpose-built AP.

If you want an Ethernet port and connect an AP, then get a 5 port gigabit switch. Plug the cable from the upstairs router into it, then plug the other kit into the switch.
Hi many thanks, that will give me the hard wired option I need but won't give me the facility to extend the house WiFi down the end of the garden. The current WiFi won't reach so I need to be able to extend the WiFi as well ro be able to run an xbox or nintendo switch without being hard wired..

Thanks

I would say just get a router that also works in AP mode, the remaining ports should work as a basic switch without needing a second bit of kit to be plugged in.
So connection from the house goes into LAN port 1 on the router that's set up in AP mode and handles wireless, then you've got ports 2-4 on the router that can have things like the work laptop plugged in.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!