What's new

Super slow wired speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkbreeze

New Around Here
Just bought the wndr4300-100nas and installed it. Prior to doing that, with a Belkin router only capable of 10/100 Ethernet I was hitting 5MB/s or 54Mbps if you prefer. It was also showing a 100Mb connection under Ethernet properties. Now, with nothing else changed aside from the router I can only achieve 5-9Mbps or .6MB, about 1/10th the speed I had before. If I connect wirelessly my speeds are up around 15-20Mbps and it does show being connected at 1GBPS under Ethernet properties but it's not getting better speeds than before, it's getting much worse. I have updated the firmware and and my Realtek PCIe GBE family controller drivers with no change. Is this router a piece of junk or what? I've tried tweaking some of the advanced settings for the Realtek controller with no change as well. Anybody else having this issue. Return it? Also, my wired upload speeds are actually faster than my download speeds which it never was before and should not ever be. My ISP advertised speed is supposed to be like 25MB/s download. I'm actually getting now 1.5 upload and less than 1MB/s download. Thanks.

Yeah, I just went and bought a Cat 6 cable to try that but the cable I have now is 350mhz Cat 5e which was giving me very good speeds with my other router, I just couldn't make use of my gigabit capable cable modem and gigabit Ethernet on my laptop with that router. I'm not sure why the cable would work with one router and not another, especially since it's the high quality bare copper 350mhz cable, which is actually rated better than the new cat 6 cable I bought.

It shouldn't be rated better than a cat6 cable.

At any rate, try swapping around the LAN port you are connected to on the router. Also try changing firewall settings (possibly temp disable them). You can also try connecting directly to the modem just to double check it is an issue with the router.

It could in fact, in the end, be a bum router. See if there are any NAT hardware offload settings and try disable/enabling them.

It shouldn't be rated better than a cat6 cable.

At any rate, try swapping around the LAN port you are connected to on the router. Also try changing firewall settings (possibly temp disable them). You can also try connecting directly to the modem just to double check it is an issue with the router.

It could in fact, in the end, be a bum router. See if there are any NAT hardware offload settings and try disable/enabling them.
If the cable is no problem, then it is likely that your router has some trouble, you can try to change others to check, or try the wireless router, you might get a surprise, Huawei's products have always been my favorite, especially is their new, E8278, exquisite appearance and up to 150Mbps download speeds, makes me feel cool.

The most common problem in this scenario is a duplex/speed setting mismatch on one of the devices. Usually the device auto-negotiate their port settings, but this negotiation often fails and you end up having one side set at 1000 mb full duplex and the other side at 100 mbit half-duplex, for example.

Try using fixed settings vs. auto-negotiated settings and see if that helps (e.g. set both ends to 100 mbit full duplex manually).