What's new

Support SNBForums *****

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kernol

Very Senior Member
How often do we human beans take the really valuable things we have "for granted" ?
The generosity of Tim Higgins hosting these forums through which so many of us benefit materially was brought into sharp focus by this news item ...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/other-news/33218-a-new-door-opens

Not sure about you all - but I seldom visit the "Home Page" of this site - and I suspect the same is true of most forum members. Hats off to Tim for shifting strategy in the face of changing internet trends - however we can do more to support him and keep these pages alive!

I for one will ensure that all future Amazon purchases are made through SNBForum > Amazon link.
Any other ideas or suggestions welcome ... post them here.

How often do we human beans take the really valuable things we have "for granted" ?
The generosity of Tim Higgins hosting these forums through which so many of us benefit materially was brought into sharp focus by this news item ...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/other-news/33218-a-new-door-opens

Not sure about you all - but I seldom visit the "Home Page" of this site - and I suspect the same is true of most forum members. Hats off to Tim for shifting strategy in the face of changing internet trends - however we can do more to support him and keep these pages alive!

I for one will ensure that all future Amazon purchases are made through SNBForum > Amazon link.
Any other ideas or suggestions welcome ... post them here.

Thanks: I would have missed that link. Last time I checked with Tim, perhaps 18 months ago, the Amazon link didn’t help him if the member lived outside North America; I presume that’s still the case.

Hi,

Until now I was using a custom block adds method using dnsmasq with 0.0.0.0 redirect for ads.
Due to this and because that adds from here are from outside domains I couldn't allow only this site and, at the same time, block ads from the same source on other sites.
So using this method I cannot use whitelist or blacklist.

In the same time I use dnscrypt (have blacklist/ whitelist) and Hacker ports (have blacklist/ whitelist).
So after reading this thread and A New Door Opens article I decided to disable dnsmasq method. This was for me the only method in order to allow ads from this site.

Now ads are back from this site! #happy

PS: I bookmarked the Amazon link too.
Thank for this thread!

Great idea Colin - and I have also bookmarked the USA Amazon site here ...

https://www.amazon.com/ref=assoc_res_sw_logo?tag=snbforums-20

However - I also noticed that if someone simply clicks the "GO" button in the "Search Amazon" frame WITHOUT inserting anything into the search box - you arrive at Amazon WITHOUT the necessary referral link to benefit SNB ??? If you do insert any search text you will be good to go with the referral included!

If I were Tim I would lose the Amazon Search button and greatly improve the tiny blue text containing the correct referral link ;). I wonder how much revenue has been lost by those who simply clicked on "GO" to get to Amazon without realising their purchases would not benefit SNB?

Maybe - throw in an optional button to automatically bookmark the Amazon referral sites for US, Canada and/or UK?