What's new

Swap file

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coloxim

Regular Contributor
Hi, I've ac86u,

I'm using some addon with Merlin and i see I'm using more and 90% of ram...

I've to create a swap file?
If yes, is better an harddisk, I've to use usb2 o usb3?

When I really need a swap file?

Thanks!

This can be quite normal if you have an attached USB drive. There are already numerous posts about this. Unused memory is used as disk cache and is released when it is needed.
Ok, so i don't need swap?
I looking for post but I don't find one to explain how to understand or when I need a swap file...

Some script ask for...if the script doesn't ask for i don't need swap?

Unless the script says you need a swap file or you are getting out-of-memory errors you probably don't need it.

amtm itself doesn't need any swap at all. Whether you need swap will depend on what other scripts you have installed.
Yes, but diversion doesn't need swap Also, but in the website suggest to use swap.
That's why I don't understand if use or not swap...

Ahahah...you are Right...but I'm trying to understand what is better...
Ok...so i don't need swap...

If you are using Diversion you need a swap. 2GB swap file is recommended but in my experience swap equal to the router RAM is more often sufficient. I also prefer a swap partition over a swap file but that is harder to add to an existing device. And the swap should be on a thumb drive or SSD not on a conventional (spinning rust) hard drive. AMTM can be used to add a swap file of your size.

Skynet, an 'essential' amtm script, requires a 2GB swap file.

Also, a swap file is required and not a swap partition, for amtm to work properly.

Skynet, an 'essential' amtm script, requires a 2GB swap file.
i disagree, the firewall will block nasties already. the only benefit is if you are running any public facing services and want to block "known" baddies
Also, a swap file is required and not a swap partition, for amtm to work properly.
amtm doesn't require swap to be used, but if you do use swap you are correct that amtm works with swap files and not partitions

i disagree, the firewall will block nasties already. the only benefit is if you are running any public facing services and want to block "known" baddies

amtm doesn't require swap to be used, but if you do use swap you are correct that amtm works with swap files and not partitions

Ok, amtm doesn't need...I've to do a swap file only if the script asks it when I instal the script by amtm, correct?
In this case diversion lite doesn't ask swap but on website you suggest to use the swap file...
I'm not expert and understand if I'm doing something wrong it's no easy...

It's easy enough to add or remove a swap file with amtm. Add one if you want to. If it's not needed it won't get used.

You don't need a special device for the swap file. Just put it on your current USB drive.
Ah ok...add swap if no needed it's a problem?

Oh ok!! Thanks! Ahaha, now it's more clear...

Maybe scMerlin and other methods are not reporting swap file usage correctly, but I have never witnessed my usb-based swapfile utilize even 1KB. Never.

Same. Makes me wonder why is 2GB recommended in AMTM. Perhaps @thelonelycoder is the right person to ask.
Skynet requires 2GB and since its functions only allow to create that minimum size and @Adamm asked nicely, I adopted it in amtm and Diversion.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!