What's new

swapping AiMesh Main and Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobes

New Around Here
I have two 68u's setup with AiMesh and it's working fine. They are both physically installed/mounted in a way that it's a little difficult to take out and remount.

I've been experiencing trouble with my cable line and want to test out the cable line on another outlet meaning I need to move my cable modem to another room. The new cable modem location would be near the router node.

Question: Is there a quick way to swap main and nodes? or do I need to reset everything and setup everything again?

If it's working as you want, physically swap then, to continue to do so.

I have two 68u's setup with AiMesh and it's working fine. They are both physically installed/mounted in a way that it's a little difficult to take out and remount.

I've been experiencing trouble with my cable line and want to test out the cable line on another outlet meaning I need to move my cable modem to another room. The new cable modem location would be near the router node.

Question: Is there a quick way to swap main and nodes? or do I need to reset everything and setup everything again?

There is no magic easy way.

Remove the node from the router webUI to automatically reset it.
Save the router settings to file.
Reset the router.
Restore the saved settings to the former node to make it the router. If the restore fails for any reason, be prepared to configure from scratch.
Add the former router as the new node.

Or just run a temporary 100' Ethernet patch cable from the existing router to the new modem location to perform the trial... maybe.

OE

There is no magic easy way.

Remove the node from the router webUI to automatically reset it.
Save the router settings to file.
Reset the router.
Restore the saved settings to the former node to make it the router. If the restore fails for any reason, be prepared to configure from scratch.
Add the former router as the new node.

Or just run a temporary 100' Ethernet patch cable from the existing router to the new modem location to perform the trial... maybe.

OE

this is what I figured. thanks for confirming.
(and thanks for reminding me to take a backup of my current settings)

To be sure, restoring from one router to another router, even if they are identical models, is not a good idea.

Make a backup, sure. But physically switch them for the most transparent and straightforward transition.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!