What's new

Switch Bought

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mystik1

Occasional Visitor
I bought the switch from my other post. Do I have to connect it to my router? I thought I would not since the Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE adapter connects it from the PC, and the NAS both go into the 10GbE ports....unless I needed the NAS to be accessible from other PCs...which, in fact, I do...I just wanted to get it working and confirm if my problem is solved before I opened it up further. Anyway, the Synology app cannot find it now. Thanks.

For many home deployments, the router is the device handing out IP addresses via DHCP. If you rely on DHCP to obtain IPs for your PC and/or NAS, and they don't have a way to communicate with the router, they won't be able to get an IP and communication will fail.
To help rule this out--
1) Verify your switch has all ports on VLAN 1. (if it's an unmanaged switch, that's likely the case).
2) Connect the router to your new switch, using a LAN (not WAN port) on the router. Verify you get a link light for that port.
3) Connect your PC and NAS to the switch. If they were already connected to the switch, you may need to disconnect and reconnect them to force the devices to reattempt to get an IP.

If you do this, other devices on the router should be able to communicate with devices on the switch as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!