What's new

Switch not needed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ShawnTRD

Regular Contributor
So I'm getting ready to run cat6 in my basement to the bedroom and living room in my house. Plus one to my ASUS AIMesh node (RT-AX82U). My NAS has four 1 GB Lans but I'm probably good with just using 2 of them. Wondering if I should get a switch to run off my 2.5g port on my main router (RT-AX86U). Or should I set it up differently?

Attachments

• 20220327_192644.jpg
    20220327_192644.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220327_193208.jpg
    20220327_193208.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 96
Wondering if I should get a switch to run off my 2.5g port on my main router (RT-AX86U).
It depends if you have devices on your LAN that can saturate the gigabit connections. You said previously that your internet connection was only 150Mbps/15Mbps so internet access wouldn't benefit from an additional switch. At the end of the day you can just go with what you've got and add a switch later if you feel the need.

It depends if you have devices on your LAN that can saturate the gigabit connections. You said previously that your internet connection was only 150Mbps/15Mbps so internet access wouldn't benefit from an additional switch. At the end of the day you can just go with what you've got and add a switch later if you feel the need.
Yeah I was thinking I needed a switch. Then I was thinking my 82U should be able to run the TV's. So I still have two lan ports available.

If the NAS has a pcie slot you should upgrade the card to 2.5 rather than bundling the ports together as typically you wouldn't ever see the full potential from a single client using LACP. Also LACP would need a managed switch which would be more cost. If the PC doesn't have a 2.5 then get another card for the PC as well.

All in you could get everything for ~$200. And if you have this in place and decide to add an AP with a 2.5 port you would be ready for faster WiFi on the LAN as well. A decent WiFi 6 AP would be ~$160-225 and if you went 6E there's one available for $360.

If the NAS has a pcie slot you should upgrade the card to 2.5 rather than bundling the ports together as typically you wouldn't ever see the full potential from a single client using LACP. Also LACP would need a managed switch which would be more cost. If the PC doesn't have a 2.5 then get another card for the PC as well.

All in you could get everything for ~$200. And if you have this in place and decide to add an AP with a 2.5 port you would be ready for faster WiFi on the LAN as well. A decent WiFi 6 AP would be ~$160-225 and if you went 6E there's one available for $360.
The NAS is a Synology DS1520 with non upgradeable lan. It's only getting used by me so the two linked ports are fast enough.
I just want a reliable wired and wireless network. I figure offloading some tv's and the AIMESH off the wifi might help. Not sure how well the lan coming off the Node router is vs main router to switch.

I would say draw it out and see what the bottle necks would be and if you can live with them.

The fastest response is 1 big switch with 1 backplane. It goes downhill from there.

So I'm getting ready to run cat6 in my basement to the bedroom and living room in my house. Plus one to my ASUS AIMesh node (RT-AX82U). My NAS has four 1 GB Lans but I'm probably good with just using 2 of them. Wondering if I should get a switch to run off my 2.5g port on my main router (RT-AX86U). Or should I set it up differently?
i feel, you should set it up differently

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!