What's new

switch or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robinjoo1

Regular Contributor
hey i have a spare QSW-1108-8T laying around
i only have a 3 a 4 lan clients now connected to the routers own lan ports (of which some devices such as philips hue and mediabox are only 100mbps ) is it better to connect them all together using the 2.5Gbps port and the switch or must i leave them connected to its own lan ports on the router to do the switchting/distribute traffic in between and to wan

It doesn't matter much.

Network-wise it'll make no noticeable difference. If the router and cables are visible it could make a massive difference to the home decor critics.

What is most convenient, has them work best without being an eyesore or attracting cable-chewing pets.
My switch is about 0.5m away from the ONT, the router is about 4m away from the ONT. Having the switch means I only have to hide the cables from the ONT to the router and back, and not the other 6 cables (I've a free port, but I'd either need a switch anyway or would have to put a couple more devices on WiFi).

Network-wise it'll make no noticeable difference. If the router and cables are visible it could make a massive difference to the home decor critics.
i decided to use the switch
cause my lan 2 to 4 ports have some sort of problem i had in the past who got worse
is ethernet cables lips not latching/staying put with the ethernet port en thus the cable becomes disconnected and yes i should be able to send it in for repair/warranty

but using the 10Gbps lan as wan port to my modem (my package provides me with 1040mbps down ish and 103 mbps ish up)
and now using the 2.5gbps port with my 8 port switch gives me lots of still good working ethernet ports

i decided to use the switch
cause my lan 2 to 4 ports have some sort of problem i had in the past who got worse
is ethernet cables lips not latching/staying put with the ethernet port en thus the cable becomes disconnected and yes i should be able to send it in for repair/warranty

but using the 10Gbps lan as wan port to my modem (my package provides me with 1040mbps down ish and 103 mbps ish up)
and now using the 2.5gbps port with my 8 port switch gives me lots of still good working ethernet ports
Any update?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!