What's new

switch, router.lan setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kelticmage

New Around Here
Hello All,

I am looking for advice re switching / routing and how it could be accomplished.
I am a newbie at this so I thank you all in advance for your patience.

My hardware is

Netgear Prosafe wireless firewall router DGFV338 x 2
Netgear Prosafe 24 port smartswitch FS726T x 1

I wish to setup 2 distinct networks , One containing
Network 1
1 x Sm Bus server 2008
1 x NAS
4 x vista computers
1 wireless laptop
1 x smartphone

Network 2

4 x laptops
3 x Xboxes
Basically I wish to keep my teenagers away and out of my network for obvious reasons !!

However I would like my Win SmBus Server to control my DCHP allocations
if possible.

Can this be done or do I utilise vlans, or can I put the 2nd DGFV338 to use somehow and split the IP addresses which will then feed threw the first DGFV and hence to the net ??
Presently I have all feeding threw the 1 DGFV ....with no problems except the server is offline because it kept dropping the xboxes routing or it was very slow. It fairly whizzes along even with all xboxes and laptops blazing away wirelessly.which as you can imagine is often !!.

Can you assist Chaps.......Ive been beavering away at all your advice...but it would be great to hear all yours

kind regards
Rob

Since you have a smartswitch, VLANs would be simplest way to go, especially since you want one DHCP server.

For a two-router setup, you can do this, but it's hassle for file/printer sharing.

Hi Tim , Thanks for responding.

Question.....Is it possible to Keep 1 of the 338 wireless routers connected to the internet then to the smart switch with all wired computers attached ....and to some how connect the 2nd 338 to either and run a separate wireless network to connect all the xboxes and kids laptops.

How would this be achieved ??

regards
Rob:
:eek:

Sure. That is what's described in the article that I linked. Make the "kids" router the first one so that they won't be able to get to the "adult" network.

Why use two routers though if you already have VLAN capability?

Hi Tim ,

Boy that was quick !!

What seems to elude me is the fact the dgfv338 is all in one.....by creating two vlans on the switch......how do I separate the kids wireless......as it goes directly to the 338.....

what i thought was that by creating two distinct IP networks I could allow my network to be controlled by my sm bus server and the kids by their 338.

Sorry to be so slow .....its really creating a broadcast storm in my head !!.
Think ive spent days ....researching. What I should have done is probably got a level 3 managed switch.....but they cost a fortune !!. The smartswitch cost £30 pounds brand spanking new and unopened.....sign of the recession lots of surplus gear at auction.

Anyways thank for your indulgence.....assistance

Rob

Sorry, Rob. I missed the wireless separation. Thanks for hanging in...

If you want two different wireless networks, you'll need both DGFV338's since they don't support multiple SSIDs.

Just convert the second DGFV338 to an AP, then stick it on the same VLAN as the kids' wired computers. That is, connect its Ethernet port to a switch port assigned to the kids VLAN.

Don't hesitate to ask if I still haven't addressed everything.

Thank again Tim,

Just reading over details. Hope that should suffice to get me started. jst a whole new ball game for moi.....its been a long road since my first apricot..
While I enjoy the learning and dont fuss over hiccups.....Id rather not have Irate teens ...whose lives revolve around hi-techy stuff nagging because ive messed up.
thanks again ...great site and forum and really usefull info ..:cool:
Rob

No problem. Give a yell if you run into something. BTW, you are taking a good approach. Separating the LANs should keep both groups happier (and more secure).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!