What's new

Switches for QOS (beginner/ help!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HaveYouSeenTom

New Around Here
Hi there

I'm hoping someone can give me some basic guidance with a home network query for a beginner!

What am I trying to achieve?
Prioritise bandwith on my Office PC, presumably using QOS. Primarily for gaming but also to video calls/ Zoom.

What does my network look like?
I have tried to sketch this as per the picture below:

1609781764238.png

Fibre optic is not available in my area so I have a Vodafone Gigacube (Huawei Gigacube B528s-23a) providing 4g home broadband.

Option 1
It looks like I can put my router in "Bridge" mode meaning could I buy a third party router with QOS features and use that? As my Office PC is connected via Ethernet/ the switches I am not sure QOS on the router would work.

Option 2 (currently pursuing)
Swap the Attic switch for a Managed/ Smart switch with QOS. Tell it to prioritise the Office Switch.
Swap the Office Switch for a Managed/ Smart switch with QOS. Tell it to prioritise the Office PC.

Would that work? Presumably I don't need to swap the Lounge Switch or Cupboard Switch?

The reason the switches are daisy chained is because I can't run any more cables from the attic to the rooms and are reliance on the existing cabling.

I've purchased a couple of these but no idea yet how to set them up, assuming Option 2 is viable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N0OHEMA/?tag=smallncom-21

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Attachments

• 1609781277813.png
    1609781277813.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 110
Hi there

I'm hoping someone can give me some basic guidance with a home network query for a beginner!

What am I trying to achieve?
Prioritise bandwith on my Office PC, presumably using QOS. Primarily for gaming but also to video calls/ Zoom.

What does my network look like?
I have tried to sketch this as per the picture below:

View attachment 29110

Fibre optic is not available in my area so I have a Vodafone Gigacube (Huawei Gigacube B528s-23a) providing 4g home broadband.

Option 1
It looks like I can put my router in "Bridge" mode meaning could I buy a third party router with QOS features and use that? As my Office PC is connected via Ethernet/ the switches I am not sure QOS on the router would work.

Option 2 (currently pursuing)
Swap the Attic switch for a Managed/ Smart switch with QOS. Tell it to prioritise the Office Switch.
Swap the Office Switch for a Managed/ Smart switch with QOS. Tell it to prioritise the Office PC.

Would that work? Presumably I don't need to swap the Lounge Switch or Cupboard Switch?

The reason the switches are daisy chained is because I can't run any more cables from the attic to the rooms and are reliance on the existing cabling.

I've purchased a couple of these but no idea yet how to set them up, assuming Option 2 is viable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N0OHEMA/?tag=smallncom-21

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Why don't you use QoS with MAC Address on your router QoS options?

use a VLAN on managed switches ( layer 2 or 3) for your office PC, IOTs, and mobile devices, guests. etc.
The switches will all run at line speed anyway. None of the users shown should be high bandwidth users, so you could even do on 100mbit port switches. Gbit are more common though.

and 2nd the use of the router QOS. if the Vodofone equipment wont handle the role, then get another router and put the vodofone in bridge mode as modem only.

You would have to use at least a layer 3 switch just under the router, preferably with vlans to segregate the traffic and implement qos there if not in the router

look at the VLAN tutorial on this site for a starter. Then there a several threads about configuring layer 3 managed switches - one by coxhaus if i remember correctly. That was cisco gear.

Thanks very much I'll take a look. In the interim I've used a blunt tool of restricting egress bandwith on the Office Switch port which outputs to the Lounge Switch - which I hope eases the pain!

1609860241888.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!