What's new

Switching to Zen Full Fibre from BT Full Fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brian_E

Occasional Visitor
My ISP is changing from BT to Zen Internet on Thursday and so far I have configured their FRITZ!Box 7530 AX router to match my network. However, I would still prefer to use my ASUS RT-AX88U router, but I don't know how to set up the WAN connection. The Zen connection requires a VLAN-ID of 101 as it will be provided by CityFibre. Also, the FRITZ!Box uses the LAN 1 port for the WAN connection; would I have to allocate a LAN port on my ASUS router as well and if so, how would I do that? If you could provide screenshots from the ASUS GUI that would help me immensely.

How do you connect to your ISP?

IP without authentication?
PPPoE?

Do you use a phoneline with the FritzBox?

The only landline phone I have is a Gigaset VOIP provided by Sipgate.

The only other settings shown in the FRITZ!Box are these, plus my account name and password:

Connection Settings​

The connection settings are already set to the most frequently used values. You can change these values if needed.
Change connection settings

Internet Connection​

Maintain permanently (recommended for flat rates)
Delay disconnection by provider to the period between
0 - 11 - 22 - 33 - 44 - 55 - 66 - 77 - 88 - 99 - 1010 - 1111 - 1212 - 1313 - 1414 - 1515 - 1616 - 1717 - 1818 - 1919 - 2020 - 2121 - 2222 - 2323 - 24
Clear idle connection (recommended for time- or usage-based rates)
Clear automatically after seconds

Internet connection​

Via the FRITZ!Box
Select this option if the FRITZ!Box is connected directly to your internet connection.
Via an external modem
Select this option if you would like to connect the FRITZ!Box to an existing external modem.

Data Throughput​

Enter the speed of your line. These values are required to secure the prioritization of the network devices.
Downstream
Mbit/s
Upstream
Mbit/s

VLAN Settings​

Please note that a VLAN ID is required only in special cases. The required ID was supplied by your internet service provider.
Use VLAN for internet access
VLAN-ID 101
PBit 0

PPPoE Passthrough​

Enable this option only if you require an additional internet connection for a certain network device in the home network.
Attention:
Additional costs accrue for the internet connections established by connected network devices.
Connected network devices are also allowed to establish their own internet connections (not recommended)

I think you have to connect WAN-Port to your ISP-"modem" and have to establish a PPPoE connection with username and password has been sent by your ISP.

I can´t check, where to choose a VLAN-ID, because I´am connected via direct ip connection. SORRY

I am researching this as I go to CityFibre in 3 weeks from Virgin.
From what I can see :
In WAN select PPPoE and input your account details.
Go to LAN - IPTV - Manual Setting and set Internet VID to 101
Connect the Asus internet port to the fibre modem.

I always believed the vlanid for cityfibre was 911(?).

I am researching this as I go to CityFibre in 3 weeks from Virgin.
From what I can see :
In WAN select PPPoE and input your account details.
Go to LAN - IPTV - Manual Setting and set Internet VID to 101
Connect the Asus internet port to the fibre modem.
That sounds familiar. Thanks.

I always believed the vlanid for cityfibre was 911(?).
All I can say is that the FRITZ!Box router which arrived a couple of days ago was configured with a VLAN-ID of 101, so I'm assuming that is correct.

My ISP is changing from BT to Zen Internet on Thursday and so far I have configured their FRITZ!Box 7530 AX router to match my network. However, I would still prefer to use my ASUS RT-AX88U router, but I don't know how to set up the WAN connection. The Zen connection requires a VLAN-ID of 101 as it will be provided by CityFibre. Also, the FRITZ!Box uses the LAN 1 port for the WAN connection; would I have to allocate a LAN port on my ASUS router as well and if so, how would I do that? If you could provide screenshots from the ASUS GUI that would help me immensely.
Try running the Ethernet from your ONT to the WAN port.
You may need to power cycle the ONT

VLAN on the WAN Port is no problem. My Quantum Fiber connection uses 201. set it in the IPTV Tab under LAN-IPTV e.g.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 063929.jpg

Ask the provider if you need PPoE or anything else and set up accordingly... (mine uses IPoE so I don't need that part)

Ethernet from ONT to router WAN.
Set connection type to PPPoE
Set VLAN ID to 911

This is my setup for Giganet via CityFibre

Ethernet from ONT to router WAN.
Set connection type to PPPoE
Set VLAN ID to 911

This is my setup for Giganet via CityFibre
Yes, I did have to set the VLAN ID to 911 to get it to work, so the FRITZ!Box I received had been incorrectly set up for the CityFibre network. My service was live within 30 minutes of the engineers leaving, but I had to phone Zen support to find out why I had no internet connection. As soon as I mentioned that I had set the VLAN ID to 101 (as per the supplied FRTIZ!Box), that was when I was told that I needed to set it to 911. After doing that, the ASUS RT-AX88U rebooted and then everything just started working. I was told that the speeds may fluctuate for a day or two until it settles down. Current I am getting similar download and upload speeds in the general range of 500-600 Mb/s.
New Internet Connection.jpg

Yes, I did have to set the VLAN ID to 911 to get it to work, so the FRITZ!Box I received had been incorrectly set up for the CityFibre network. My service was live within 30 minutes of the engineers leaving, but I had to phone Zen support to find out why I had no internet connection. As soon as I mentioned that I had set the VLAN ID to 101 (as per the supplied FRTIZ!Box), that was when I was told that I needed to set it to 911. After doing that, the ASUS RT-AX88U rebooted and then everything just started working. I was told that the speeds may fluctuate for a day or two until it settles down. Current I am getting similar download and upload speeds in the general range of 500-600 Mb/s.
View attachment 48279

It probably came pre-configured for an OpenReach or other provider line rather than CityFibre.

Are you still using the Fritz or just the Asus router?

I got (and still do get) full 900Mbps up and down on a wired connection - sometimes pushing 920/940 on Giganet.

I'm not using the FRITZ!Box. I just set it up as a backup. I've temporarily installed the spdMerlin script to check what I get overnight tonight.