What's new

Sync Synology share to QNAP share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tremelune

Occasional Visitor
I have a Synology DS418 and a QNAP TS-431P sitting in the same closet plugged into the same router. My goal is for the QNAP to act as a backup for the files on my Synology, in case the controller board snaps or the power supply melts or something.

I have a share "Filez" on both, with the same data. When I make changes to files/directories on the Filez share on the Synology, I want them automagically propagated to the QNAP. Basically, instead of running an rysnc command on my laptop between the two shares mounted via SMB, I want the Synology to do that for me, on a schedule. Is there a simple way to accomplish this? I cannot for the life of me figure out how.

I tried rsync and Hyper Backup, but instead of comparing the two root share directories as I would expect rsync to, it creates its own directory structure inside Filez/Filez.hbk and puts all the data there in a weird directory structure. Instead of /Filez/photos/corgi.jpg I've got /Filez/Filez.hbk/Pool/0/0/0.bucket.2 and I can't very well scope corgies with that noise if my Synology explodes.

I tried mounting a remote share and using Folder Sync, but it inexplicably only works when both devices are a Synology NAS.

I tried using Hybrid Backup on the QNAP device, but it inexplicably only works from the QNAP to another device, and not from another device to the QNAP.

I'm at the point where I'm going to write an rsync script and run it as a custom task, and that is some weak sauce for dedicated NAS. It would be lovely to leverage one of the 25 different backup/sync solutions with GUIs and graphs and progress bars, but once again, it seems I'm doing something that nobody else has ever wanted to do, even though it seems very basic to me...

HAAALP

Dang, it ain't gonna work. I appreciate the tip, though! Syncthing is great.

My QNAP is armv71, and there's no package for that architecture..

I use rsync on a QNAP NAS, a D-Link NAS and a Raspberry Pi to sync folders across all 3. Can't imagine why Synology wouldn't work to as this is a core *nix tool.

I use rsync from the D-Link NAS, Raspberry Pi or other devices to sync with the QNAP as either a source or destination.