What's new

synology 409 or thecus 4100pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmenet

New Around Here
So I have been lurking for well over a year, and think that i am ready to take the plunge, but would like to know what the more experienced members of the forum think about the advantages and disadvantages of the thecus are when compared to the synology.

I realize that you lose eSATA which would be nice, and that it reads at about 2/3 the speed, however it is nearing 3/4 the price and I have been reading about some members having problems with their synology 409's. So I guess it comes down to 3 questions:

1. Has Synology ironed out the flaws that were present in the initial release of this product

2. Would I even be aware of the speed difference between the 2 products streaming at max two HD video files at a time to a mediatank/PC.

2.5 would the addition of extra memory to the thecus narrow the performance gap significantly

3. which is quieter.

So Buy.com has raised the price for the thecus 4100pro, so the price difference is no longer an issue. The question remains whether people who have used the product feel that it is a mature product, and is worth the price?

1. Has Synology ironed out the flaws that were present in the initial release of this product
What "flaws", specifically?

2. Would I even be aware of the speed difference between the 2 products streaming at max two HD video files at a time to a mediatank/PC.
No.

2.5 would the addition of extra memory to the thecus narrow the performance gap significantly
No. The CPU is the dominant factor.

3. which is quieter.
Both are about the same to my ears.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!