What's new

Synology DS-108j vs. D-Link DNS-323

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kurotetsu

New Around Here
Synology DS-108j

D-Link DNS-323

I would like to start moving to a 2 NAS setup for backup purposes (been using DVDs up until now), 1 for the backup and another to backup the backup. As far as features and price go, these two units fall into my budget perfectly. I haven't seen any reviews for the DS-108j outside of Synology's own site, so I wanted to get an opinion here from anyone who may have worked with it.

The 108j costs slightly less, is only 1-bay, but looks to be better built hardware and software wise. The DNS-323 has much more room for storage being a 2-bay unit. Looking at the specs from their respective sites, they both have Jumbo Frame support, network backup, USB printer support and onboard BT clients, all of which I want. With 1TB single drives, I'm not so much concerned with storage but rather quality and reliability. I want to get a NAS that I'm confident won't fail me any time soon (just the NAS unit itself, I realize hard drives all fail inevitably).

So my question is, is the reliability and quality of one unit superior to the other? Or is it negligible enough that either will be fine (in which case I'll nab the D-Link)?

My opinion...

Since you sound like the type that wants to be sure they'll always have a backup, consider a 2 drive NAS and use a cloud backup service like Jungledisk to backup the NAS data to remote servers. This will ensure your data will be safe even in a fire, theft, etc...

If reliability is paramount, I recommend the Readynas Duo. Its rumored that Jungledisk will be releasing a Readynas plugin late this year.

IMO, the Dlink DNS323 is not a serious NAS. it does work for some people, but can be troublesome in certain configurations.

Synology DS-108j

D-Link DNS-323

I would like to start moving to a 2 NAS setup for backup purposes (been using DVDs up until now), 1 for the backup and another to backup the backup. As far as features and price go, these two units fall into my budget perfectly. I haven't seen any reviews for the DS-108j outside of Synology's own site, so I wanted to get an opinion here from anyone who may have worked with it.

The 108j costs slightly less, is only 1-bay, but looks to be better built hardware and software wise. The DNS-323 has much more room for storage being a 2-bay unit. Looking at the specs from their respective sites, they both have Jumbo Frame support, network backup, USB printer support and onboard BT clients, all of which I want. With 1TB single drives, I'm not so much concerned with storage but rather quality and reliability. I want to get a NAS that I'm confident won't fail me any time soon (just the NAS unit itself, I realize hard drives all fail inevitably).

So my question is, is the reliability and quality of one unit superior to the other? Or is it negligible enough that either will be fine (in which case I'll nab the D-Link)?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!