What's new

Synology DS119j $100 NAS Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
synology_ds119j_product.jpg
Synology's DS119j $100 NAS is the least expensive NAS you can buy.

Read on SmallNetBuilder.

Notice that it does not have the USB B type connector that other Synology NAS's have to support connecting a UPS directly for shutdown control.

Notice that it does not have the USB B type connector that other Synology NAS's have to support connecting a UPS directly for shutdown control.
I don't recall any NASes I've reviewed having USB B type ports.

Decent little unit - and something that most folks that are currently using Router/AP for file-sharing might consider - performance is likely going to be better than most of the AC1900 class BHR's that offer USB file sharing, and DSM has a very rich feature set...

Interesting that the Marvell Armada 3720 is running this unit - at 800MHz*, it doesn't need a heat sink, and it natively supports SATA and GBe - surprised that Synology didn't expose the USB3 port, because it is there in the actual chip, and it's a solid interface.

I suppose it's product differentiation...

* The 3720 is good to 1.2GHz, with a heat-sink, but for the most part, performance between 800 and 1.2GHz is moot for samba stuff... I have much experience with this chip, and it's a good one - that it's close to a quad-core Realtek running at 1.4GHz says much about the Marvell considering that the 3720 is giving up 600MHz on this device. I think if they were to clock the 3720 and run a heat-sink, they'd match or beat the realtek chip there...

Anyways - for a starter NAS - the DS199j is a good recommendation considering the price point and SW feature set - much better than most BHR USB file sharing...

I don't recall any NASes I've reviewed having USB B type ports.

I'm sorry. Brain fart... The USB-B is on the UPS and it connects to the standard USB-A on the NAS.

I just set up two Synology's with UPS's. You'd think I'd know one end from the other. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. Brain fart... The USB-B is on the UPS and it connects to the standard USB-A on the NAS.

I just set up two Synology's with UPS's. You'd think I'd know one end from the other. :rolleyes:

Yep - that's cool - perhaps a senior moment?

My QNAP is tied to my UPS the same way, it's USB-A to the NAS, the UPS shows up as a client device of it. Nice part there, I can then use the NAS to shutdown other devices if the UPS is the active power source if needed...

Yep - that's cool - perhaps a senior moment?

My QNAP is tied to my UPS the same way, it's USB-A to the NAS, the UPS shows up as a client device of it. Nice part there, I can then use the NAS to shutdown other devices if the UPS is the active power source if needed...

Definitely senior moment....

And the Synology UPS support acts like a NUT server so running NUT clients, in my case WINNUT on W10 & W7 machines, controls their shutdown upon notice from the NAS.

Definitely senior moment....

And the Synology UPS support acts like a NUT server so running NUT clients, in my case WINNUT on W10 & W7 machines, controls their shutdown upon notice from the NAS.

And that's functionality that BHR's with File Sharing don't offer at present... assuming that other devices are also on the UPS (otherwise they go down when the power goes down).

And don't worry about the senior moments - I get them as well :D