What's new

Synology NIC went dark

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amrogers3

Occasional Visitor
My 2nd NIC went bad on my DS214+. It's way out of warranty and there doesn't appear to be a way to easily swap out the NIC card since it is built in.

Anyone ever been able to fix something like this?

Have you tried contacting Synology or posting in their user forum ?

probably get a more experienced response as nic failures are rare.
i assume you replaced the cable with a known working one first and tried a different port on your switch/router ?
Do you get any lights on the lan port on the nas ?

I did contact Synology but it's an older model out of warranty and apparently they don't have a repair shop.

I did try the troubleshooting steps you mentioned. The problem is, it's not like a normal NIC card that you can replace, it is built into the unit and no easy way to swap out as you most likely already know.

The only other option I think would be to plug in a wifi dongle to use as a backup means of communication. Not the best solution but the only way I can think of to have backup comms. I know this isn't supported anymore but I'm out of options.

Any recommendations for a wifi dongle?

If you have tried the most common solutions such as cleaning the port, trying a different cable etc, then I'm not sure I would personally spend more money on supporting a unit that has a motherboard that is failing. May be time to consider a replacement unit..

My 2nd NIC went bad on my DS214+. It's way out of warranty and there doesn't appear to be a way to easily swap out the NIC card since it is built in.

Anyone ever been able to fix something like this?

Do you need 2 NIC's?