What's new

Synology RT1900AC Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, an SMB person trying to manage numerous branch office small NASes and their switches, routers, VPNs, VLANs, oh my.

Actually, I was considering the small biz environment, where they might have a couple of NAS boxes already (primary and perhaps a backup) - and to a slightly larger audience - e.g. consultants that might have customers with branch sites, could be a handy option...

Not for everyone, I know, but an interesting concept...

The HW isn't too terribly exciting, which is probably a good thing, as Broadcom's AC1900 class HW is very stable and mature - the SW should be interesting...

Would be curious to see how it works with a Synology NAS on the same network, and if there is any interplay between the Router and the NAS..

The last time I've been "excited" by the hardware of a home router was when Broadcom devices jumped to the BCM4708/BCM4709. Beyond that, it's all about the firmware and its feature set really. This is one area where a manufacturer like Synology who has extensive experience in developing a feature-rich firmware might be able to carve itself a market niche.

i have the synology ds 514+ here with the rt1900ac no interaction as such its they use the same gui layout etc , will be interesting to see tim's testing at distance and see if concurs with mine , that is if the usa model is the exact same as the one sent to us here in OZ
I should be getting an R1 version.

Hmmm... one of the strengths of the top-line NAS providers is the ability to manage multiple NAS from a single location - so for some, it would be something of interest to see how the RT1900ac fits into that...
It doesn't. The list of apps is here.

I should be getting an R1 version.

wonder if that bit of tape that has been added will make any difference

i dont know if you have seen my test results yet but i will wait till yours comes out and then compare

i have been in touch with one of the synology staff who was only too happy to help and try and get the best out of it and it looks like synology are going to continue with the router line with future plans for a wave 2 ac class router quite a possibility

It doesn't. The list of apps is here.

Would be interesting to ask Synology if something like that is in the works, as it would be a very good value add - not the "app" store, but being able to manage both the Router/AP and NAS from a single common UI, and integration across both could be a compelling SNB solution for many...

Synology may be reluctant to respond on record, but it would be good feedback to them.

... it looks like synology are going to continue with the router line with future plans for a wave 2 ac class router quite a possibility
I can't see Synology in the router business for the long haul because it is very low margin. Anyone remember WD routers?

Synology and other NAS manufacturers are concentrating on higher-end NASes where margins are better. Why chase small money in a very tough market?

Synology and other NAS manufacturers are concentrating on higher-end NASes where margins are better. Why chase small money in a very tough market?

i dare say because they indicated so :) all need to put a toe in the water somewhere and i think the rt1900ac is synology's toe in the water , why else would they bother releasing the rt1900ac in the states after its release here in OZ ?

Last edited:
I can't see Synology in the router business for the long haul because it is very low margin. Anyone remember WD routers?

That may end up being very true, but if a business just does what it knows, indefinitely, it will be out of business soon.

Even I don't do the same thing I did 3 years ago. :)

What is needed is enough momentum from Synology's router for QNAP to enter too. Then, we'll have great options as the competition will force them to give us better than what is available elsewhere today.

That may end up being very true, but if a business just does what it knows, indefinitely, it will be out of business soon.

Even I don't do the same thing I did 3 years ago. :)

What is needed is enough momentum from Synology's router for QNAP to enter too. Then, we'll have great options as the competition will force them to give us better than what is available elsewhere today.

As Pete and L&LD suggested - I think it's great that new (yet, established, e.g. non-startup) players at least entertain going into the Router/AP market.

Margins are thinner perhaps than what they would see in the mid-high tier NAS entries, but Synology (and QNAP) strength is their software - and it's a fair bit newer than what we're seeing right now in the high-end Router/AP devices.

WD's routers were horrible. They were developed by Alpha Networks, who also develop their line of WDTV devices. Sounded like a "me too" more than actual long-term plan IMHO.

WD's routers were horrible. They were developed by Alpha Networks, who also develop their line of WDTV devices. Sounded like a "me too" more than actual long-term plan IMHO

The HW wasn't too bad, but there did seem to be a lack of commitment to a longer term strategy with regards to a Router/AP product line - a single product release is a "test balloon"...

*pokes thiggins* Is it here yet? Don't keep it secret don't keep it safe... Please throw it into the Mordor of tests!!!

Respectfully,

the impatient one :D

I'm slammed with routers right now. It's third or fourth in queue.

i would not be holding my breath on review findings though , but lets see what tim's results show

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!