What's new

Synology RT1900AC Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Assuming they used the standard BCM SDK/kernel:

at this stage i cant find a way to enable telnet on the router , it does however have ssh which i have enabled and connected to via putty and get the following

Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2015-10-29 15:37:59 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

. : [ [[ alias break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export
false getopts hash help let local printf pwd read readonly return
set shift source test times trap true type ulimit umask unalias
unset wait

so the telnet commands dont work of course and i have very little knowledge on ssh and if the same details can be accessed through ssh

also i did test the rt1900ac with different antenna sets and it did make some difference at distance so there is a design issue with the synology antennas as well

using both a set of tp link C9 antennas and r7000 antennas saw an improvement of about 5 db rssi at 25 meters , still not as good as ether the r7000 or c9 at that distance but certainly an improvement

at this stage i cant find a way to enable telnet on the router , it does however have ssh which i have enabled and connected to via putty and get the following

Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2015-10-29 15:37:59 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

. : [ [[ alias break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export
false getopts hash help let local printf pwd read readonly return
set shift source test times trap true type ulimit umask unalias
unset wait

so the telnet commands dont work of course and i have very little knowledge on ssh and if the same details can be accessed through ssh

You don't need telnet on the router. Once you're connected to the router, just issue the "cat" and "wl" commands to query the hardware.

Wow, alot to read here. Man I got so excited about this router, I almost bought it. I wanted to replace my RT-N66U but after Tim's review, well, my excitement faded. At least I did not waste my money, yet, so thank you for that. I was blinded like Smeagle: "- My precious !" :)

My Internet router is always a "wired" router. As there are few wired router options are available, in the end I wind up with a wireless router with the antennas removed and the wireless radios turned off. The Synology does even have a hardswitch which turns off the radios.

What is important for me? WAN to LAN speed (but with my 1G fiber connection I really do not notice it anymore), Security, Features, Easy of Use.

The Synology has some interesting packages which can be installed and I am eagerly waiting for some addition to that. Synology will be releasing SRM1.1 in the future with some additional interesting features. https://www.synology.com/en-global/events/CeBIT/features

I always like the reviews here. The poor wireless performance didn't come as a surprise; it had been noted on the various forums before, but I really would love to see a review which compares the various routers as "wired" routers. What is the best router, if you don't need wireless. (P.S. of course I do need wireless, but my house is wired with CAT 5E and my access point is located where I need it.)

Interesting information gentlemen. I did a side job *PC repair* and used the cash to grab one for kicks and giggles as they became available again in March 2016.
Unit utilized is a Samsung XE550C22 Chromebook * my FAV portable wireless device*
*All interior walls are insulated for what it is worth*

I placed it in the central closet on the north wall of the house up near the ceiling on a wire rack shelf. *that wall is concrete block with an interior wall attached* I updated the firmware and set the unit for 2.4 40Mhz Ch 11 and 5Ghz 153.
2.4 band - Through 4 walls *~ 40ft-ish then through two sheet metal outbuildings. One building is 10 ft wide the other 25 ft wide. I can stream Youtube videos/Amazon movies and music without buffer issues being a measured 75 yards from the router and at 100 yards I can still browse web pages and pull up online schematics when working on my tractor. I would have to go pull the db again as I am at work.
In comparison my ancient yet reliable e1200 cisco will push the same signal strength out to 125-150 yards into the pasture with usable/functional signal at my barn. The e1200 will become an AP at the second shop after I run wiring to extend better signal out to the barn.

Just my anecdotal 2 cents worth.
I am open to suggestions for antenna upgrade options. I am really interested to see what real world gains for me it would offer. If not necessarily range but increased signal strength inside the above stated ranges.

Inside the house I have not had my spouse complain about the wireless throughput on her streaming/wireless gaming *again maximum 40-45ish feet* through multiple walls on either 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.
I know there are better units out there and just missed the R7000 sale for 158.99 the other week so I may adjust up who knows as it depends upon many variables in life.

Sorry for the wall of text but had to share.

I finally decided to give it a go and replace my RT-N66U :) . I like it very much so far, I'll do some tests and provide a bit of feedback after I learn how to play with the beamforming and all the functions.

The NAS vendors are checking out the Router/AP market - we've got the Synology RT-1900ac as discussed on this thread, and QNAP keeps dipping their toe in the water as well - first with the travel oriented Genie (QG-103N) wifi device, and now they're shipping what they call the NASBook TBS-453A - no WiFi in that one at the moment, but basic NAT and Routing is there...

Both Synology and QNAP have definite software strength - I'm hoping Synology's next product is even better...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!