What's new

Synology RT2600 Rejects PIN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
I had a power failure after which, when I tried to log into the Synology Router Manager, it rejected what I know to be a valid username and password.

I followed the instructions to do a soft reset, entered "router.synology.com" in the Safari address bar, it searched for Synology Devices for 30" or so & returned [No DiskStation Found within LAN]. Tried the Brave browser with the same results.

So, downloaded the Synology Assist and ran it; it found the RT2600, I clicked on [Connect] but when I entered the PIN number from the bottom of the router, it returned [The PIN code is invalid]. I am not entering o instead of 0, I had my wife stand over my shoulder and watch me input the PIN but it repeatedly returns [The PIN code is invalid].

I have an "abnormal" setup. I have Verizon FiOS. The Verizon Actiontec router's incoming cable is COAX, not ethernet, and there are very few modems that connect via COAX. Therefore, I purchased the RT2600 and have its WAN port connected to the Actiontec's LAN port and it has been working fine for over two years.

I had some problem about a year ago, did a hard reset, and it took me over a day to get everything up and running again and I do not want to go throught that again.

P.s. My computer is a 2015 iMac running Monterey.

Thanks for the quick reply. I entered https://192.168.1.2, it took me to the page asking that I input that PIN number from the bottom of the RT2600 and once again, as before, it returned [The PIN Code is Invalid]

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 13.33.51.jpg

Is there an outside possibility that my router might have been hacked? It just makes no sense that when I use the Synology software and input the correct pin number that it deems it to be an invalid pin number How would one check to determine if one had to been hacked?

I would do a hard reset on it and clear everything to start over at this point. It's a bit of a nuisance but, it will work again.

I had one of these for a couple of weeks when I was upgrading to AC wave 2 and I didn't get along with it too well when it came to getting it working the way I wanted it to work and switched to a R7800. After the R7800 firmware bugs / leaks issues I just made my own instead.

When you say to go in from the LAN, not the WAN port, would you explain that just a bit? I know just enough about routers to get myself into, but not out of, trouble. Many thanks.

When you plug in a cable makes rue it's ports number 2-4 as port 1 can be classified as the WAN as well. The WAN ports can make things more complicated than it needs to be when doing the setup personally I just setup the WiFi connection using the sticker info and login with the default admin information.

Thanks for that clarification.
Looking at the ports on the back of the RT2600, I see a group of 4 ports; the first of which is labeled WAN2; the others as LAN 3, 4, 5.
Then, right in the middle of the back of the RT2600 is a single port labeled WAN1 and is from that port, for the last several years, I have had an ethernet cable connected to one of the LAN ports of the Verizon Actiontec router.

Since I have the attention of a few of you who know far more about routers than I do...may I ask you an associated question?

I just learned about MoCA adapters which would appear to allow me to plug the Verizon COAX cable in one end of a MoCA adapter and connect an ethernet cable from the other end to what? a LAN port on the RT2600 and thus remove that Verizon Actiontec router from the mix, greatly simplifying what is now a complex setup.

Do I understand the MoCA function correctly?

Again, many thanks for your patience and help.

Moca allows Ethernet over the coax. So, you can use the coax instead of Ethernet in remote locations. Both sides would plug into the rt2600 and the remote device. Moca converts the 8 pins in Ethernet and then converts back on the remote side.

The actiontec is still needed to get Internet from VZ.

I can see why you have [Senior Member] status.
I had this totally wrong.
BTW, when I got up this morning, I unplugged the ethernet cable from the RT2600's WAN1 port and plugged into one of its LAN ports.

Last edited:
I am trying that right now. However, when I launch the Synology Assistant, while it finds and identifies the RT2600, clicking on [Connect] or [Set Up WOL], nothing happens.
Previously, clicking on [Connect] produced that screenshot I posted, above.

Furthermore, when I now go to the bookmark I had set up for the SRM page, it produces the screen with
[You are now accessing your Synology router through the WAN port.] etc.

The thing that troubles me most deeply is that when I get that [Enter the PIN] code screen and enter the PIN code that it rejects it as invalid. That just makes no sense.

I am beginning to question everything I am doing/have done.

So you know exactly how I have the two devices set up:
Verizon COAX from the ONT on the back of the house into the Actiontec.
Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to a LAN port on the Synology
A second Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Synology to the ethernet port on my iMac.
So, I am connected to my iMac by both ethernet and
Here's what I would be doing.

Connect to wifi

Do an ifconfig from terminal

Https://192.168.x.x to the gateway IP

Login with the default admin account and configure the router.
I can't impose on someone to hold my hand while I stumble through sorting this out so I think the only thing for me to do is a hard reset then restore from a backup I saved about 9 months ago.
I say that because when I looked up the ifconfig command I found this page:
...which leaves me totally in the dark as to what to do next.
When I open Terminal and input ifconfig I get command not found.
I do know the Gateway IP is 192.168.1.1

Thank you so very much for hanging in as long as you have.

VZ <> Actiontec <> WAN Synology <> LAN synology <> PC

OR Same but instead of cable from Synology to PC use the WIFI to setup the Synology

so, once you're connected to the synology open a browser and http://192.168.1.1 and login and run the setup wizard to reconfigure the router.