What's new

Synology RT6600AX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
Synology is releasing their latest router May 11.
This link is to router information provided by MariusHosting
synology_rt6600ax.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool..specs aside I wonder how Synology support is. I was turned off from getting another Netgear due to the lack of support after 90 days.

Cool..specs aside I wonder how Synology support is. I was turned off from getting another Netgear due to the lack of support after 90 days.
I briefly had an RT2600ac and support was timely and knowledgeable. Ultimately, they even had the retailer I bought from accept a return after the return window had closed.
For my use, it just wasn't configurable enough.
Give their SRM simulator a try before you buy.

Idk about the routers, but there NAS appliance support for me has been Top Shelf!

It dropped rather a lot with the release of DSM 7 as the initial round of that upgrade unfortunately fell into COVID restrictions everywhere, so phone, online, everything just went south. Even so, compared to other vendors we were dealing with in that time period, they were still far better. That said, we do not pay any subscriptions for 'added value' support, we do not employ outside services for support, all of the manufacturer support comes from the manufacturer, it's all of the "Basic Warranty free and included for x-time" sort of support, and perhaps importantly as well, we've only been using Synology for the past couple of years (2020, 2021, 2022). Basic Warranty on the goods we purchased was 3-years from the date of sale and the buyer could add 2-years on top of that within 90-days of purchase, for a total of 5-years. (They had some sort of special promo recently and we added the extra 2-years for each of our devices so they would remain in-warranty during their entire anticipated 5-yr service life.)

From everything I have read, once you are out-of-warranty factory support is non-existent and neither love nor money will change it.

The NAS OS is a Linux shell and super-easy to use even if, like me, you are altogether ignorant of Linux. The baseline for their support people and programmers assumes users, at least of the consumer, and Pro-consumer or SMB variety are all generally Linux-illiterate. As such if a Linux function becomes important and you don't want to let them take a quick look-see via the internet into your device (which I don't), they've been very good about sending along step-by-step instructions for running Linux commands to feed them back info they need to help. And if you happen to know Linux, a little or a lot, they are very quick to adapt to your expertise to render assistance.

They also have special services like business on-boarding for those with more substantial needs like large corporations and multi-nationals.

RESPONSIVENESS
Pre-COVID: My experience before COVID was phone time to reach a TS tech were usually < 5-10 min, long enough to warrant a bit of extra looking for answers on my end but short enough to make their TS feel very available. Online TS was also very good, very quick (< 1-day) and could be viewed as a direct line to Tier 1.5/2 support as the phone techs will submit a ticket for online support if they can't get you fixed up.​
During COVID: They also released their new OS, DSM 7, which had been in the works for a couple of years. The timing was unfortunate and TS took a very bad turn. Phone holds seemed to average > 1-hr before reaching a tech, sometimes they'd be so long the system would announce it was timing me out and disconnect. Rarely I was able to reach someone in < 5-min but it was really obvious a lot of their staff was out and those left were all working from home. Online tickets stretched out to 3- to 4-days, sometimes more. Phone holds became rather nasty as noted above.​
Today: Tech Support seems to be improving and headed back to it's previous status. Online queries are taking 1- to 2-days, phone queries while still long rarely if ever get timed-out and the wait times are generally < 15-min.​

QUALITY OF SUPPORT
Again, for me the support quality never dropped. It was and continues to be first rate. Since getting onboard with my first Synology NAS I have found their information to generally be very good to excellent. Their willingness to help, to go the extra mile, to loop-in programmers if need be, for the actual programmers to work with me, and for everyone on staff to make, and not rarely to implement suggested enhancements has also been top quality.​
I'm not saying they're prefect because they aren't, and there are hiccups sometimes, but from where I sit Synology sets the bar for support and everybody else is playing catch-up.​

CAVEAT: My experiences are limited to their NAS's. Routers may or may not be a whole different can of worms.

Sky

I tried their RT2600AC for a week before giving up on it due to it not working as I wanted it to. Switched to a R7800 and stuck with that for a bit and then went DIY to consolidate things into a single box w/o OEM firmware bugs to deal with. They make good gear but, networking seems to have some issues for them.

Instead of dropping hundreds on a router switching to an AP that plugs into your existing gear is more cost effective.

Review

Finally got one today! So far one disappointing thing is the WiFi range is meh. It covers the inside of my 1200sqft home perfectly, but outside not so much compared to my ASUS AX11000.

About 250ft away from my house outside I can normally get around 250mbps on 5GHz and around 425ft away I can get around 60mbps over 5GHz with the AX11000. This one at 250ft away its difficult to even get a connection. Havent tested with a laptop just my S22 Ultra.

Bright side I can still get around 1500mbps over WiFi.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220615_201115.jpg
    thumbnail_20220615_201115.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2022-06-15 201455.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-06-15 201455.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 125
Finally got one today! So far one disappointing thing is the WiFi range is meh. It covers the inside of my 1200sqft home perfectly, but outside not so much compared to my ASUS AX11000.

About 250ft away from my house outside I can normally get around 250mbps on 5GHz and around 425ft away I can get around 60mbps over 5GHz with the AX11000. This one at 250ft away its difficult to even get a connection. Havent tested with a laptop just my S22 Ultra.

Bright side I can still get around 1500mbps over WiFi.
Thanks for your review.
I'm currently have the RT2600ac and two MR2200ac and was looking to upgrade due to the increased Wifi 6 clients I have.
I originally had to add the additional MR2200ac due to the lack of range so that's a little disappointing to hear about the RT6600ax.

I'm still debating on getting the AX11000 or hold out on the firmware improvements of the RT6600ax. I really like the Synology UI as well as the security and parental controls so I would like to stick with that vendor.

Save some money and get APs instead. Using a router as an AP is a waste of money. NWA210AX is only ~$150 and covers 1300sq ft easily. It's also more robust than these routers.

2.4ghz as an example. Far right is the Synology I'm right beside it basically in the same open room. The middle is an AP for a different network of mine that's through a wall in another room

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-144756_Wifi Analyzer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-144756_Wifi Analyzer.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 151
I'm currently have the RT2600ac and two MR2200ac and was looking to upgrade due to the increased Wifi 6 clients I have.
I originally had to add the additional MR2200ac due to the lack of range so that's a little disappointing to hear about the RT6600ax.

I would wait a bit - even with WiFi6 clients, one isn't going to notice a huge difference between 11ac and 11ax at this point.

With Synology - the mesh points (MR2200ac) need to run the same version of SRM as the main/base unit, and SRM there is still on 1.2.5-8227 (Update 5) - the RT6600ax is SRM 1.3...

If you're happy with the Syno, and the investment you have in the RT2600ac/MR2200ac's - I wouldn't suggest moving away...

I would wait a bit - even with WiFi6 clients, one isn't going to notice a huge difference between 11ac and 11ax at this point.

With Synology - the mesh points (MR2200ac) need to run the same version of SRM as the main/base unit, and SRM there is still on 1.2.5-8227 (Update 5) - the RT6600ax is SRM 1.3...

If you're happy with the Syno, and the investment you have in the RT2600ac/MR2200ac's - I wouldn't suggest moving away...
Thx, appreciate it.

I think it's "the grass is always greener" thinking.
I originally had a Linksys 1900acs which worked for its years but the 2.4 band died so I went with Synology and wired backhauls.

I really like the UI and security features, but a few friends are running Asus routers with Aimesh and Merlin and when I'm there I do notice faster speeds on 5ghz than I get from the same distance.
Again, probably just looking for the latest and greatest.

2.4ghz as an example. Far right is the Synology I'm right beside it basically in the same open room. The middle is an AP for a different network of mine that's through a wall in another room
Thx.
Yeah my Neighbor somewhere has some Netgear bands that's are always stronger than mine when I'm in my house.

I know Netgear and specifically Orbi are limited on customizations so I guess there are pluses and minuses to everything.

a few friends are running Asus routers with Aimesh and Merlin and when I'm there I do notice faster speeds on 5ghz than I get from the same distance.

May not have anything to do with Asus or Wifi - there's a lot of variables to consider

Anyways - like I mentioned - I'd wait for SRM to update across the line to 1.3, then the MR2200's might mesh with the 6600ax... or maybe Synology will update the MR's to WiFi6

Another strange issue I've discovered. When transfering to one of my NAS's which has a broked ethernet jack causing it to the 10/100 of coruse the transfer speeds are low, but it causes my overall local network ping to shoot up between 30ms to 255ms when copying. And while the ASUS doesnt do that is stays at under 1ms when pinging the router.

Even when transfering from my new NAS which I have connected to a 2.5G switch along with my main desktop ASUS ping stays right at 1ms while the Synology averages around 28ms during a transfer..

Hi, Hyelton have you tested the wifi anymore on the Synology RT6600AX ? dongknows review give it very high results on wifi coverage and speeds. Any idea how coverage and speed would compare to Amplify Alien or Asus RT-AX86U ?
Any input appreciated.

May not have anything to do with Asus or Wifi - there's a lot of variables to consider

Anyways - like I mentioned - I'd wait for SRM to update across the line to 1.3, then the MR2200's might mesh with the 6600ax... or maybe Synology will update the MR's to WiFi6
SRM 1.3 release candidate is already out so can run RT6600AX and RT2600ac/MR2200ac in mesh NOW TODAY if you want

(2022-06-23)
Important notes

This version is the release candidate (RC) of SRM 1.3.1.

What's New

1. Supports a new installation wizard.
  2. Revamped login style page.
  3. Supports VLAN and other relevant SRM 1.3 functions for RT2600ac and MR2200ac.
  4. Supports utilizing RT2600ac as a Wi-Fi point in a mesh Wi-Fi system.
  5. Supports compatibility of mesh Wi-Fi system between RT6600ax, RT2600ac, and MR2200ac.

What’s the deal with the new unii4 upper 5GHz channels this router (and the newly announced axe11000 pro) have access to? Are those accessible to a typical intel ax200+ client, or for wireless backhaul only?