What's new

System Log: Openvpn Client1 "Cipher is not Set" Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kingp1n

Very Senior Member
I was looking at the logs and noticed this message:

Code:
Feb 18 14:11:28 RT-AX88U-0D80 ovpn-client1[15533]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Feb 18 14:11:28 RT-AX88U-0D80 ovpn-client1[15533]: OpenVPN 2.5.0 arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Feb 12 2021

I currently use PIA VPN.

Do I need to adjust/add something inside the custom configuration box to set the cipher?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

If it's working, don't do anything. If needed, it tells you what to do. :)

If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.

I started seeing these in my log when I upgraded my remote network OVPN server to v2.5.0. No need to do anything as long as you are connecting via a cipher accepted by PIA VPN. You would have received another message if you weren't using an accepted cipher.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!