What's new

System Name?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
I just changed from an RT-AC88U to an RT-AC86U. (My RT-AC88U died.)

Everything is working OK, but when I ssh to the system the command line prompt shows:

admin@RT-AC88U-A478:/#

(except "admin" is the actual administrator ID I chose)

Why does it say AC88U instead of AC86U?

It defines itself on the network as \\RT-AC86U-29A0, and the 192.168.1.1 web page calls itself RT-AC86U, both of which I expect. It is just the command prompt that uses the old AC88U designation. At least that's all I noticed.

I THINK I know what happened: I restored a settings file saved from my old AC88U system. I can accept this is my screw-up, but:
A: Is it important? Should I care?
B: Can I fix it?

I just changed from an RT-AC88U to an RT-AC86U. (My RT-AC88U died.)

Everything is working OK, but when I ssh to the system the command line prompt shows:

admin@RT-AC88U-A478:/#

(except "admin" is the actual administrator ID I chose)

Why does it say AC88U instead of AC86U?

It defines itself on the network as \\RT-AC86U-29A0, and the 192.168.1.1 web page calls itself RT-AC86U, both of which I expect. It is just the command prompt that uses the old AC88U designation. At least that's all I noticed.

I THINK I know what happened: I restored a settings file saved from my old AC88U system. I can accept this is my screw-up, but:
A: Is it important? Should I care?
B: Can I fix it?
I am not sure you really have a problem other than auto fill picking up the old host name. My AC86 which replaced my AC1900P considers its host name (RT-AC1900P-C3F0) both in the GUI and when I putty in.

I never tried to restore settings from my AC1900P to the AC86 which replaced it. The AC86 works fine so I have made no attempt to fix the host name.

My opinion auto fill idiocy so if it isn't busted don't bother to fix it.

I am not sure you really have a problem other than auto fill picking up the old host name. My AC86 which replaced my AC1900P considers its host name (RT-AC1900P-C3F0) both in the GUI and when I putty in.

I never tried to restore settings from my AC1900P to the AC86 which replaced it. The AC86 works fine so I have made no attempt to fix the host name.

My opinion auto fill idiocy so if it isn't busted don't bother to fix it.
I looked at the LAN configuration page and noticed there is an entry for Host Name. I set that to
RT-AC86U-29A0
and now that shows up on the ssh comand prompt. Apparently I can set that to whatever I want.

I will leave it at that for now but may go through the factory reset if I suspect other things have gone bad from restoring the settings file.

I also noticed there is a domain name there. What should that be set to? I had to go through hoops to connect a directory on my USB drive to a local drive letter. Not sure if I have that right yet.

Thanks CaptainSTX and ColinTaylor.

The domain name can be anything your want, within reason (and the DNS specs). I suggest something like "home.lan". Don't use "local".

Regarding your hostname, I would still recommend doing the factory reset. Not because of the hostname but because of any other potential gremlins or sub-optimal settings that may have been imported, particularly WiFi related. IMHO it's simpler to do this now for piece on mind rather than having to do it all again at later date.

The domain name can be anything your want, within reason (and the DNS specs). I suggest something like "home.lan". Don't use "local".

Regarding your hostname, I would still recommend doing the factory reset. Not because of the hostname but because of any other potential gremlins or sub-optimal settings that may have been imported, particularly WiFi related. IMHO it's simpler to do this now for piece on mind rather than having to do it all again at later date.
Yeah. Right now I have a bunch of other stuff going on and will put this on the back burner as things seem to be working. But, right, I don't know what other things may be lurking!

The domain name is set to something I forgot all about -- probably because it didn't make any difference.