What's new

tailscale.com - Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture

it's free for personal use per their homepage, cross platform...

Can anyone comment positively/negatively?

Old post, but I can comment positively. I was experimenting with the WireGuard server in asuswrt beta RC-2, but it kept taking down my internet after running for a typical day with remote connections. But fast indeed and stable while up.

I recently found myself urgently needing to choose a mesh network on a remote property and jumped aboard Tailscale instead (though also WireGuard underneath).

It’s so easy it’s almost no setup. Everything is taken care of with regard to NAT/firewall/keys etc. And the coordinator/admin site gives such a nice overview and options. Turning on and off relay/subnet routing and exit nodes (all traffic through tunnel) etc. Sharing machines to externals too via ordinary identification providers. Overview of all services running on ports and machines. You can even force a (local) DNS server on all clients. And it’s open source (except the UI parts of the apps, and the coordinator/admin server, but the latter may be switchable with a self hosted open source version soon (see headscale at GitHub)). Oh and free for personal, family and open source project use (they’re not enforcing any limits anyhow).

The not-so-good is the iPhone app (Mac app only slightly better but the computer has more resources), which should have “on-demand” settings like most other VPNs on account of battery drain (and in the current version is always active). Maybe also a clickable service list? But you can choose exit nodes if any. On Linux it’s a shame it’s not the kernel version of WireGuard (Tailscale’s WG has less speed but is not slow either).

Last edited: