What's new

Temp set up with additional router, seek advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phrehdd

Occasional Visitor
My present system -

Asus 86u with both 2.4 and 5g being used.

I have an opportunity to get the Asus Wifi 6e AXE11000 heavily discounted.
The catch is that I cannot replace the 86u but can connect the AXE11000 wirelessly.

Though I may not get the 6e advantage now (devices don't do 6e), I was curious if the following would have any advantage
over what the status quo is -

86u -----5g ax------>AXE11000 =====Ethernet cat7 to at least 2-3 devices (two 2.5g port and one 1gig port).
I know that years ago this type of arrangement worked well at the beginning of draft N for moving large files or streaming. The second router did the heavy lifting.

Any thoughts or experience in this type of set up?

Thanks in advance.

My present system -

The catch is that I cannot replace the 86u but can connect the AXE11000 wirelessly.

Though I may not get the 6e advantage now (devices don't do 6e), I was curious if the following would have any advantage

86u -----5g ax------>AXE11000 =====Ethernet cat7 to at least 2-3 devices (two 2.5g port and one 1gig port).
I know that years ago this type of arrangement worked well at the beginning of draft N for moving large files or streaming. The second router did the heavy lifting.

Thanks in advance.

It's not the normal approach but may serve your needs and is easy to try.

OE

My present system -

Thanks in advance.
86U? AC86U or AX86U?
Why can't it be replaced?

86U? AC86U or AX86U?
Why can't it be replaced?
AX86u. Sorry, error on my part not to be clearer.

It is my landlord's router. The decision was that all my devices are on its own net using the 5g and her's would be on its own net at 2.4g.

My devices from time to time talk to each other (share data).

Below is a diagram that would be similar with the AX86u attached to the modem.

Attachments

• temp (3).png
    temp (3).png
    59.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The 5GHz SSID and the 2.4GHz SSID and any devices plugged into the Ethernet Ports are all on the same network.

The setup described doesn't make sense to divide a single network to two (it just doesn't work, it is still shared).

but can connect the AXE11000 wirelessly

Only as Repeater or Media Bridge. The router doesn't have Wireless WAN, or WISP. I don't think the landlord will agree to add AiMesh node.

The decision was that all my devices are on its own net using the 5g and her's would be on its own net at 2.4g.

This doesn't make sense. Both WLANs are on the same network. You just don't need this GT-AXE11000 router, cheap or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!