What's new

Tenda PA6 - suddenly giving long ping times

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrMopp

Occasional Visitor
I had Devolo Powerline adapters for some time, and though there was a problem with dropouts, running a ping -t to the router proved a successful workround. However, following an upgrade to fibre broadband and the heady heights of 76Mbps, I changed to Tenda Powerline units, two PH3 units (router and STB) and a PA6 (office PC) connected by cable. Since purchase in May all has been well, until a week or so ago, when speed at the PC has intermittently been down to 2Mbps with a ping to the router taking 150ms+. Nothing in the wiring has changed, no new appliances etc and I have done the usual obvious testing such as changing cables, sockets and ports (the PA6 has two). Absolutely no response from Tenda support despite four emails (chat support is permanently closed), has anyone here had any luck contacting them, or does anyone have any ideas as to the problem? (I am assuming failing unit)

Last edited:
Update - received reply from Tenda support, not helpful, suggesting another appliance in use (there isn't)

i would test another PC that is clean.
And do PC to PC over the Tenda units rather than internet speed tests to check on their function

i would test another PC that is clean.
And do PC to PC over the Tenda units rather than internet speed tests to check on their function
Thanks, will do, but in the meantime I have used another Tenda P3 on the same PC and socket which has not had any problems (so far, but as I said the issue was intermittent and only long term use will prove). I realise the limitations of the internet speed test, and I'm only using for comparison purposes - the ping issue is PC ip to router ip , i.e same powerline network.

Quick update - same PA6 unit, different mains socket, different PC, different cable - same result, ping to router > 150ms. Meanwhile the original setup but with a new adapter working fine at around 4ms. That to me says faulty adapter. Anyone on here have a UK contact for Tenda support? Unit is only 6 months old so surely it should be replaced?

Received replacement PA6, doing exactly the same thing:(. Tenda PH3 adapter, same socket same PC working fine. Can't be an inherent design flaw as the original unit was fine until recently, but two units with same fault bought six months apart?? Any other thoughts? (Other than stick with the PH3 that is - which is what I am doing for now)

Last edited:
Does the latency increase at roughly the same time of day or week - perhaps overnight ? Might be the house power main feeds from the power company.

Other possibility could be a router starting to fail.

With intermittent issues, it is almost a guessing game.

No, it's not at any particular time of day, and both that and the router failing would affect the PH3 as well. The adapter is in one socket of a double outlet, and the PC is plugged into the other one. For some reason it seems that the PA6 is more sensitive to that arrangement than the PH3. Last resort is to rearrange such that they are in completely separate socket, although for the last 12 hours or so all has been good :confused:

OK new PA6 in separate mains outlet, PH3 in the one previously occupied by the PA6. (same PC, just swapping ethernet cable at PC end. Ping varying between 4ms and 480ms on PA6, and between 4ms and 11ms on PH3. (Speedtest.net showing 1.7Mbps download and 4.55Mbps upload on PA6 but 70Mbps download and 28Mbps upload on PH3 ( I realise these aren't accurate, only using for comparison) Another faulty PA6 or could there be another explanation? Any Wireshark experts out there who think it might be helpful? :(

Six months of uneventful running with two PH3's - needed to improve wi-fi in office so went back to PA6 (and installed firmware upgrade) fine for a day, then back to ridiculous ping times (150ms+) to router using wired connection - anyone? o_O

It sounds like a firmware issue on the PA6s that only starts becoming an issue after the a memory leak gets bad enough. Not sure why they were working fine before, but they probably weren't needing to use the code that is now causing the problem. Powerlines I've found can be quite fickle based on the power circuit, especailly as it ages. I like moca better.

I'll probably regret saying this, but the PA6 has been working with only slightly higher than ideal ping times and good wifi signal strength for the last few weeks :)

I knew I would regret it - high ping times are back - no change to electrics, no new appliances - aaargh!! I hate Powerline. No alternative though as it's a rented apartmen, with office too far from master socket (which landlord doesn't want moved) to give usable wi-fi. Should have said that although wi-fi is only connecting at 72 the ping is 1ms compared with the 80ms+ of the powerline

Last edited:
Realise I'm having a conversation with myself here, but turned off the PA6 for about an hour - it wass quite hot - turned back on and ping back to ~3ms. The PC had also been rebooted but that was also the case when the pings were >50ms - no expert but probably a faulty unit?

Realise I'm having a conversation with myself here, but turned off the PA6 for about an hour - it wass quite hot - turned back on and ping back to ~3ms. The PC had also been rebooted but that was also the case when the pings were >50ms - no expert but probably a faulty unit?
Heat is never a good thing for electronics. Try this and see what happens--point a brisk fan to it to keep it cooler and see how that affects ping times (if any). If there is a relation between cooler temps and lower ping times, then yes, I would think something is out of spec and hence the excessive heat and poor performance.

Heat is never a good thing for electronics. Try this and see what happens--point a brisk fan to it to keep it cooler and see how that affects ping times (if any). If there is a relation between cooler temps and lower ping times, then yes, I would think something is out of spec and hence the excessive heat and poor performance.

Thanks for the reply, I will try what you suggest, however in the meantime I had swapped out the PA6 for a spare unit I had and achieved exactly the same result i.e. overheating and ping times >100ms. When replacing that adapter with a P3 in the same socket it remains only warm to the touch and returns an average ping time of ~4ms. This would suggest that the fault lies with the PA6 model in general (unless I have been very unlucky). No response from Tenda support as yet :mad:

You mentioned the p3, did you mean ph3? And if you can swap the pa6 to where the ph3 is and see what that does. I think you are right though as it seems to be a design issue with the pa6 trying to be a switch, ap and powerline in one unit and doing it badly. :(

If Tenda will exchange for a ph3, that might be your best bet and then just get a router to use as a switch and access point.

You mentioned the p3, did you mean ph3? And if you can swap the pa6 to where the ph3 is and see what that does. I think you are right though as it seems to be a design issue with the pa6 trying to be a switch, ap and powerline in one unit and doing it badly. :(

If Tenda will exchange for a ph3, that might be your best bet and then just get a router to use as a switch and access point.

Yes I have always referred to them as PH3's but in a reply from Tenda they referred to the 'P3' - and when I checked the box, that's what the single adapter is called - PH3 refers to the 2 adapter kit I believe. I was advised to do as you suggest when the problem first arose by Tenda but it didn't change the result. I have a few spare P3's so have fitted one which is working fine, and will probaby do as you suggest and use a spare router as an access point. Pity that Tenda can't acknowledge the problem though - absolutely no response from Tech Support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!