What's new

Thanks to SNB!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

futonpimp

Occasional Visitor
Just wanted to post a thread to say thanks to Tim Higgins and the rest of the community here at SNB for answering all my questions and providing such great feedback and advice on here. This weekend i successfully ran cat 6 all over my house and got it all up and running.. made all my own cables/terminated at a patch panel.. yadda yadda... 3 tivos/qnap/pogoplug/ps3/360... laptops/desktops are all online and connected from various rooms all back into my "network closet". Yay! no more wifi! except for the iphones/ipads/netbook.

Thanks again!

*note(s)*

When i was crawling around my attic... I picked up a few things at home depot prior..

1) Knee pads!..no nail heads in my knees thanks.
2) head lamp (so I didn't have to hold a flash light)
3) Giant shop light (20 bucks) and aimed it down the attic.
4) I somewhat cheated... there was pre-existing coax in a few of the rooms so i was able to tie a string to the coax below..pull it up to the attic.. tie the string around the ethernet cable(s) and then have someone below pull the string back down through the hole below. This prevented a few drywall holes from having to be cut. (unfortunately studs/crossboards got in the way a few times too)

5) a face mask was cool at times.. since i was breathing in dust/insulation
6) patience... Take a break from up there.. don't rush..don't be lazy and skip rooms..do this all at once so you don't have to go back at a later time and crawl around up there.

7) don't buy any cabling/jacks/plugs/adapters..etc in a retail store near you. just go online prior to your build out..and purchase everything online...cough monoprice cough...and then go about your project..you'll -save- a ton of money.

Sounds like you had fun and thanks for the tips.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!