What's new

The Ars Technica semi-scientific guide to Wi-Fi Access Point placement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rule 5: Above head height, please

This is really a practical rule; I never understood AP's that are plugged into 120V outlets that are 12 to 14 inches above the floor. * And, the manufacturers suggest/show this location for many of the small AP's that are on the market. I do not know if the Mfgr's change how the antenna's transmit the signal, but these AP's may be good for dust bunnies .

Yeah this is a great article. Thank you for sharing it. I remember reading it a little while ago but I need to bookmark it.

Last edited:
Rule 5: Above head height, please

This is really a practical rule; I never understood AP's that are plugged into 120V outlets that are 12 to 14 inches above the floor. * And, the manufacturers suggest/show this location for many of the small AP's that are on the market. I do not know if the Mfgr's change how the antenna's transmit the signal, but these AP's may be good for dust bunnies .
Maybe I should stick mine in the attic. :p

Dear wife,

Please may I attached the AX86U to the ceiling.

Love

Breaking Dad

FWIW, I've had some luck with placing a "ceiling mount" AP in the room above my living room. The signal's a bit worse after passing through the floor, but still pretty strong, and the AP is out of sight of wife ;-)

You shouldn't automatically assume you need one AP per floor --- wifi signals pass through floors too, so too many APs will just interfere with each other. For comparison's sake, I have a 3-story house and I have good signal throughout the house (and OK signal on the outside porches) with two APs, both on the second floor and on opposite sides of the house. My place is smaller than yours (~1000 sqft/floor), but on the other hand its 1910s brick, wood lath and plaster construction, so way less wifi-friendly than most newer homes.

I'd try starting with 2 APs, placed pretty far apart, and check your actual performance before deciding you need more. And keep in mind that high performance is not about how many APs you have, it's more about the quality of the backhaul setup. The manufacturers will try to tell you that "wireless mesh" solves everything, but the only thing it solves is not having to run wires; you pay for that convenience in lost performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!