The Ars Technica semi-scientific guide to Wi-Fi Access Point placement

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

frankhere

Occasional Visitor
Rule 5: Above head height, please

This is really a practical rule; I never understood AP's that are plugged into 120V outlets that are 12 to 14 inches above the floor. * And, the manufacturers suggest/show this location for many of the small AP's that are on the market. I do not know if the Mfgr's change how the antenna's transmit the signal, but these AP's may be good for dust bunnies .

Tech Focus

Regular Contributor
Yeah this is a great article. Thank you for sharing it. I remember reading it a little while ago but I need to bookmark it.

Last edited:

antdude

New Around Here
Rule 5: Above head height, please

This is really a practical rule; I never understood AP's that are plugged into 120V outlets that are 12 to 14 inches above the floor. * And, the manufacturers suggest/show this location for many of the small AP's that are on the market. I do not know if the Mfgr's change how the antenna's transmit the signal, but these AP's may be good for dust bunnies .
Maybe I should stick mine in the attic. :p