What's new

The mystery of online gaming.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

el pescador

Dunno where to put this but put this here because it is related to the DNS over TLS settings on the router.
1st off I used to use normal DNS settings and would occasionally switch DNS when gaming to see if things improved. Yes I get delay and generally quite dodgy gameplay at times.
Sometimes switching DNS can help a little.
Recently I switched to DNS over TLS and noticed an improvement which lasted longer. maybe a day or 3. But this last time after the badness came back , I switched from Googles DNS over TLS (strict) to cloudfare's thinking it would be no different. But instantly delay disappeared and it's been ok since.
So question is.....what on earth can be casing this if its me changing the DNS on the router which improves things?
Also I noticed way back that my old RT56U was very good for gaming but every model since I have had issues. may be coincidence.

There might not be a causal relationship. It's more likely that the Internet service fluctuates and you attribute improvements to changing the DNS service.
What kind of ISP do you have?

Yeah I think by the time it's up and running the game should have resolved all the hostnames it's going to need. DNS really shouldn't be a performance factor here I'd wager...

It's possible, depending on the DNS server being used that you are being routed to a data center which is geographically closer to you, this could be one possible explanation.

It's possible, depending on the DNS server being used that you are being routed to a data center which is geographically closer to you, this could be one possible explanation.
Checking the routing to the game server IPs after changing DNS , showed no difference. This maybe another issue. It's like over time the responsiveness degrades and after the change its back to what it should be.
Could it be something the server end? I have seen suspected DNS rebinds in the past from the FIFA servers. Would this affect anything?