What's new

"The network cable is unplugged" on RT-AX88U@ .11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Code:
Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex

The vast majority of modern modems have a 1 Gbps interface. If it only rises at 100 Mbps then it usually indicate a faulty cable, causing the connection to fallback to 100 Mbps.
It's not a modem, it's direct ethernet connection into the provider's hardware, located outside of the appartment. And it's only 100Mbps. I would prefer the router to not even try 1Gbps for external link.

It's not a modem, it's direct ethernet connection into the provider's hardware, located outside of the appartment. And it's only 100Mbps. I would prefer the router to not even try 1Gbps for external link.

Yes, it is well documented that speed kills...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

And anyway, how could ethernet cable could prevent downgrading to the .10_2?

I was just referring to the original issue reported that the link fails to come up properly.

Another thing to consider is to ensure their equipment is set to auto-negotiate. If they hardcode it to 100 Mbps, then auto-negotiating clients (like the router) might fail, as the standard requires gigabit switches to be set to auto-negotiate. A fixed endpoint can fail to work properly when connected with an auto-negotiated endpoints.

One thing worth testing if you have one at hand is to connect a small network switch between their equipment and your router, see if it helps.

Update failures are typically caused by either having the wrong version (i.e. make sure not to mix up AC88U with AX88U - it happens sometime), not having enough free RAM (reboot the router first with no USB disk plugged in), or browser issues (some browser plugins have been known to interfere with the upload process).

Well.
Just disabling the OpenVPN server kind of solved the problem with the "link down". After reboot it now appear instantly.
Looks like something is preventing OVPN to start in time the external link was not enabled until that.

PS. So, the cable is good. There is a more sophisticated problem :(

AND! Also disabling VPN server solved the problem with downgrading the firmware - now I'm on .10_2
Anyone interested in understanding what's going on here? :)

I was just referring to the original issue reported that the link fails to come up properly.

Update failures are typically caused by either having the wrong version (i.e. make sure not to mix up AC88U with AX88U - it happens sometime), not having enough free RAM (reboot the router first with no USB disk plugged in), or browser issues (some browser plugins have been known to interfere with the upload process).
So yeah, both problems are because of the OpenVPN server was enabled. After falling back on .10_2 and enabling the server after both problems disappear.

Might be related to https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/310
I'm having similar problems, but my connection doesn't fail imediatly but with a delay of a few hours.
As mentioned on GitHub, this might be caused by some problems with the DHCP renew between the router and the modem.
As different ISPs might handle a failing DHCP renew differently, some might not be able to get a connection at all, others might get disconnected after some time.

Does anyone know a way to check the remaining DHCP lease time on the WAN interface of the router?

Also having the same exact issue as OP. It's linked to the OpenVPN server being enabled. Rolled back to .10_2 which works fine :/

The OpenVPN server has absolutely nothing to do with the update process... I also have an OpenVPN server running here, and never had a single issue flashing numerous test builds during development.

The OpenVPN server has absolutely nothing to do with the update process... I also have an OpenVPN server running here, and never had a single issue flashing numerous test builds during development.

Have to agree with RMerlin. I have done a 'dirty' update on many varied Asus/RMerlin powered routers with OpenVPN Servers running, no issues.

Hi, I installed a new rt-ax88 this weekend and faced the same problem as the OP. It could also be related to the OpenVPN server, but I found that just by waiting around 15 minutes made the whole thing starting to run again... Now that I read about the OpenVPN possible relation I will switch it off before next reboot and on again after reboot, to save that delay.

Hi RMerlin,

Sorry didn't mean any offence, error on my behalf it was the client not server.

If you require anything let me know, it's was a stock flash to your latest build nothing special with no scripts absolutely nothing apart from my static IP configured as per requirement from my ISP which is connected to a bridge modem.

The following was enabled / configured from a fresh flash from stock ASUS firmware to 384.11_2. *factory resets performed after any upgrades*
  • AiProtection.
  • Wireless.
Now the issue, OpenVPN Client. Once configured and enabled "Automatic start at boot time" the issue is present "network cable is unplugged" on reboot. I've reverted back to the .10_2, erased settings configured the exact same way and no issues, it just works™

Screenshot of configured settings to "trigger this issue" at least for me anyway. https://imgur.com/a/fSNJpuF

In our case, the OVPN server just can't get correct time and wait a long time, preventing WAN to show up.

In our case, the OVPN server just can't get correct time and wait a long time, preventing WAN to show up.
Well,.. after all there was another error with the script. The delay loop was nor correctly executed since it waits while current year less than 2015.. and my router defaults at boot to date in may 5, 2018. Just change the loop condition waiting while year < 2019 and then the script works fine..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!