What's new

The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of som

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

some games may be restricted? What does that means???:confused:

means your packets are too large - so they need to be broken up...

If you're on DSL - check your MTU sizing. It's protocol overhead that hits you there...

If this is an ASUS router, or even it is not, check the ASUS forums here - they're working this issue.

sfx

I tried connecting my PS3 without the router and still get "The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted." so is not my router I also swapped my modem and it still says the same thing. what's going on here? does anyone knows. I called my ISP(Charter), TRENDnet, and SONY and they don't have a clue. Anybody knows?:confused:

Not support IP Fragments... makes zero sense. It's probably a mistaken error message. A very basic fundamental of any device like a router that supports TCP and IP, must support fragmentation and reassembly. There is an option in TCP to not support such, but I've never seen a TCP stack that doesn't support it.

It could be that as a game adapter, the option for Port Triggering isn't implemented.

That's a very odd error message.
Analysis using wireshark software can determine what's going on, but that's a PITA.

If indeed the product does not support fragmentation and reassembly, it should go into the round file.

Last edited:
Try running Netalyzr with IPv6 enabled. Then try running Netalyzr with ipv6 disabled. You'll probably need to Power cycle your modem, router, and computer, and gaming console after you disable ipv6 on the router/computer. .

First post nailed it. MTU needs to be lowered on the PS3.

Here's a guide to help determine appropriate MTU:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

Not support IP Fragments... makes zero sense. It's probably a mistaken error message. A very basic fundamental of any device like a router that supports TCP and IP, must support fragmentation and reassembly. There is an option in TCP to not support such, but I've never seen a TCP stack that doesn't support it.

That PS3 message is somewhat misleading.

It likely either references:

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_Discovery

If an upstream router drops or fails to generate inbound ICMP unreachable Type 3 messages, the PS3 won't receive notice that it should decrease packet size. DF-flagged packets will be dropped upstream, hindering communication. Keeping the MTU below the max end-to-end bottleneck sidesteps the issue.

2) Packets are being fragmented, which does have an impact on game performance. Again, keeping the MTU below the max end-to-end bottleneck addresses the issue.

Analysis using wireshark software can determine what's going on, but that's a PITA.
If you don't already know what to look for, Wireshark is more of a hindrance than a help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!