What's new

The wiki is helpful...and contributors rock!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
Hopefully this post inspires a similar quest for higher signal-to-noise ratios in everyone who comes here seeking:

Whomever wrote this page https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/IPv6-tunnelling is very kind.

I was happy to find my questions answered by poking around on the wiki when my search terms for this forum's tools came up confusing more than helpful (that's a me thing, not a critcism!!)

Wow, I haven’t checked the wiki for a while, it’s grown massively since I last did.
I have a couple of things I regularly help people configure so will add them there I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this post inspires a similar quest for higher signal-to-noise ratios in everyone who comes here seeking:

Whomever wrote this page https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/IPv6-tunnelling is very kind.

I was happy to find my questions answered by poking around on the wiki when my search terms for this forum's tools came up confusing more than helpful (that's a me thing, not a critcism!!)

In general, forum search engines suck, especially when you need to search for a short term like "ipv6". I recommend using Google for forum searches, using that format (as an example):

Code:
site:snbforums.com IPv6 tunnel

The site parameter lets you limit search results to a specific site.

Open-source projects are often lacking in documentation. Forums are great place to ask questions, but they are often not doing a good job at exposing important information on how to configure or manage something (this is simply a limitation of the medium, not any forum's fault). You have to rely on search engines, or sticky posts (and I have to limit the number of sticky posts, otherwise everyone would just skip over them if they are too many of them).

That's why early on I started setting up a Wiki with a clear structure, which encouraged other contributors to add their own articles to it. These contributors are providing the bulk of the content now, I only maintain the pages related to firmware features that may change, like when I implement a new user script.

Funny story: back in 2013 (I believe) when I set out to implement OpenVPN support, I was basing my work on Tomato's own implementation. While I had to rewrite the webui portion from scratch, I still decided to keep the same settings as Tomato, because I didn't feel like documenting everything on my own, and "people will be able to refer to Tomato-related documentation to know how to configure things up". Nowadays, most of the large VPN providers supply documentation explicitly for Asuswrt-Merlin. Things sure have changed over the course of 6 years.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!