What's new

Thecus’ Latest Windows Storage Server Adds Intel Quad-Core CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
Thecus' new Windows-based NAS gets double the processing power than before.

thecusw2810pro.jpg

The new SMB targeted W2810Pro Windows Storage Server NAS comes with an Intel Celeron N3150 quad-core processor and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. A step up from the W2000+ model, which has an Atom dual-core CPU, Thecus states that the new NAS gets more than double the processing power than its predecessor.

For storage, the Thecus W2810Pro maxes out at 16 TB of disk using its dual-bay form factor, and also includes an embedded 60 GB SSD boot drive for platform operation.

The W2810Pro runs Microsoft’s Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials, so customers also get the many built features included with the OS, such as Storage Spaces and Windows’ own flavor of Data Deduplication.

There’s no word on how much the W2810Pro will cost, but Thecus did state that the new NAS will begin shipping globally on April 21, 2016.

Windows based NAS. Thecus?

From Thecus' web site
Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials is the latest version of Windows Storage

"latest"?
But like old wine...

Not meaning anything negative, but I've got an N3700 based NUC on Win10 Home, and it's pretty IO bound compared to the J1800 (Dell Inspiron i3050) sitting next to it - same ethernet nic model, so I'm not clear if this is a Windows thing, or a UEFI thing, or a chip thing at this moment - Braswell is Baytrail-D's die shrink, and Intel did turn down the TDP/SDP levels by about 40 percent...

The N3150 is N3700's little brother...

The N3150 and N3700 don't increase CPU performance much over the J1800/J1900 before them --really, the major improvement is in video acceleration and decode due to a new GPU architecture, and in energy savings. Most benchmarks show the older processors keeping up just fine, I believe due to the fact that they are clocked higher.

So unless there's some app or plugin that utilizes the QuickSync support of the N3150 and N3700 on that NAS, there's no reason to upgrade. And if the unit can't support 8GB of dual-channel memory (AFAIK if it's the same as the Linux variant, 4GB is max) then I'd be leery of running WSS2012R2.

The N3150 and N3700 don't increase CPU performance much over the J1800/J1900 before them

Actually from a CPU perspective, there's zero difference between the Braswell N series and the Baytrail-D J's... except that they don't clock up as high... AES-NI was a nice addition, and of course the GPU update is appreciated, but I find little difference...

J1800 actually has higher single thread performance than my N3700 Braswell, which was a surprise...

Intel has had an interesting challenge with the 22nm to 14nm die shrinks - look at Haswell vs. Broadwell, outside of the GPU, not much difference there either...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!