What's new

Thinking about TP-Link Deco X90

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikejs11

Occasional Visitor
I currently have one TP-Link 3200 V1 running my entire network (Fios 500/500 internet). It performs really well and handles all our devices while we work from home and stream TV over the internet. That being said, there is one area of the house where the signal doesn't really reach (can barely get the 2.4 ghz there and 5 not at all).

I saw recently on the DongKnows site that he rated the TP-Link Deco X90 mesh pretty highly (especially for the price), and now Amazon and BestBuy have a 2-pack on sale for $399. I currently have GoCoax moca adapters set up next to my router and then around 3/4 the way across the house to provide connection to a TV and a Xbox. I'd probably use that Moca connection to provide wired backhaul to the second Deco unit.

Question: If I was to get the Deco X90, should I completely replace my TP-Link 3200 and make one of the Deco x90 units into the main router, or should I disable wifi on my 3200 and use the Deco x90 units in AP mode?

There is also a Deco X60 (dual band AX3000) 2-pack on sale for $200 and a Deco X68 (tri band AX 3600) 2-pack on sale for $250 if those sound like more bang for the buck with wired backhaul.

If you have a spot area that needs better coverage and have wired backhaul available, get a cheap dual-band router or AP and skip all the mesh hoo-ha.
It's not going to buy you anything.

I do have an old TP-Link Archer A7 that I could use in AP mode (I think), but I'd be worried that they wouldn't handle roaming between the router and AP and they would overlap too much. I know the Deco x90 is supposed to have some AI stuff to handle directing the signal and roaming (I've read some good reviews about switching from one node to others). Is that not legit?

I have yet to see a mesh system with any intelligence, let alone "AI". Seamless roaming claims are generally marketing fluff, to be taken with a dump truck full of salt.

The x90 *might* implement some aspecs of 802.11k and/or v, which could help roaming for devices that also support it. But devices are generally in control of when and where they roam.

Try the A7 since you already own it. Set it to the same SSID and use different channels than your main router so that each AP has its own bandwidth to offer. Use 1,6 or 11 in 2.4 GHz. For 5, set one of the routers in the low band 36-48 and the other in the high band 149-161.

For more on roaming check out the Roaming Secrets series.

Actually I just realized it's an old Archer C7 V2 that I have. It looks like it doesn't have AP mode. You can use bridge mode though.

I recently installed 4 deco x60 units using wired backhaul in our 55,000sqft manufacturing building and I can walk around the whole place while on a wifi call using my iphone 12 pro max and never drop a call, it works really well.

Yeah, I've read decent reviews on both the x60 and x90.

I may just try to use my old router as an AP, but if I were to go the mesh route with the x60 or x90 would it make sense to use those in AP mode with my TP-Link 3200 as the router (wifi off) or to use one of the mesh units at the main router?

Don't go with the x60! It does not have 160Mhz channel support. The x90 does. I am using 5 x90's throughout my house. All on wired backhaul. I get near gigabit speed on WiFi throughout the entire home. It's pretty great!

Roaming works EXCELLENT! I have the TP-Link app open, and I will bring my iPhone and laptop from the bedroom to our loft, and you can see each device switch to the x90 I have setup in the loft. I have my laptop's WiFi window open and I see the speed go right back up to 2.4Gbps. It's pretty amazing how seamlessly everything works!

My problem with TP-Link is they hardly ever update firmware to fix bugs. I've had a common problem with my Archer C9 v5 for literally 3+ years and nobody responds to threads in their forums and they don't respond to emails. They released my router, gave like one or two updates, then came out with a new version and forgot about my v5.

My problem with TP-Link is they hardly ever update firmware to fix bugs. I've had a common problem with my Archer C9 v5 for literally 3+ years and nobody responds to threads in their forums and they don't respond to emails. They released my router, gave like one or two updates, then came out with a new version and forgot about my v5.
My Deco M5 was very stable and had 0 issues (other than just being WiFi 5 and can't get near gigabit WiFi.) It looks like they've already released 3 firmware updates this year for the X90. Hopefully I get the same stable luck as I did with the M5.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!