What's new

This page says it all !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerry6

Very Senior Member

Weird. Because I clicked on the link, then I clicked on the RT-AC66U, and I see hundreds of positive (4 and 5 star) Amazon reviews.

Weird. Because I clicked on the link, then I clicked on the RT-AC66U, and I see hundreds of positive (4 and 5 star) Amazon reviews.

264 1 STAR REVIEWS 1254 5 star reviews , to me the money they will give on trade in speaks volumes , 50 CENTS !!! That's down in D link territory !

im sure amazon generates that pricing based off an algorithm that has to do with price and time to sell. So maybe consumer purchasing says it all not amazon.

I have deployed hundreds (and manage) AC66U's and have great success with them, and my clients for my network business couldn't be happier.

I have deployed hundreds (and manage) AC66U's and have great success with them, and my clients for my network business couldn't be happier.
Wow I'm impressed , this helps how ?

Amazon pays what it does based on how many it can sell and how much people are willing to pay for used ones.

If I was putting in an AC router right now it would not be an AC66. This doesn't say anything about the quality of the AC66, only that there are newer AC routers and if you are going for AC you probably want something cutting edge. If you do not want cutting edge performance the N66 is cheaper.

I guess you could say the AC66 had a shorter desirable timeframe compared to the N66 but that doesn't mean it is a bad router in itself. I always liked mine, except for its OpenVPN performance.

Wow I'm impressed , this helps how ?

It seems at least as relevant to your theses as your posts. Personal experience with 100's of happy users seems to indicate it isn't a bad router, no?

Amazon pays what it does based on how many it can sell and how much people are willing to pay for used ones.

If I was putting in an AC router right now it would not be an AC66. This doesn't say anything about the quality of the AC66, only that there are newer AC routers and if you are going for AC you probably want something cutting edge. If you do not want cutting edge performance the N66 is cheaper.

I guess you could say the AC66 had a shorter desirable timeframe compared to the N66 but that doesn't mean it is a bad router in itself. I always liked mine, except for its OpenVPN performance.

It seems at least as relevant to your theses as your posts. Personal experience with 100's of happy users seems to indicate it isn't a bad router, no?

Maybe , but I'm not happy , I sent in my AC 66 because it was bricked , sent it back in factory box inside another box with 2 inches of filler for protection , what I got back was an AC 66 in a box the router and accessories barely fit in with 2 1/8 inch pieces of foam for protection , 1 antenna was broken , but I have spares NBD . But the router has 1/2 to 1/4 the connection/transfer rate of my old AC 66 and my N-66 I'm using now , that is why I'm upset .

1 the router was sent back to me in a box that is NOT up to Asus standards according to the sheet they sennt me for an RMA , broken antenna proves that ,

2 The router connects at a rate well under specs , or if you like my last AC 66 , I'm basing this on computers and routers that are in the exact same positions , not moving around so I expect around the same levels of performance . N client with AC66 getting connection of 60 - 120 mbps with N 66 getting between 180 - 243 , AC client 80- 160mbps with AC66 getting 240 - 300 with N 66 . My old AC 66 matched or bettered the connection on the N clients , much higher on the AC client .
Not bothering with the 8 other clients in the house , but was getting complaints of buffering and low connection rates from them as well , never had complaints with first AC 66 or now with N-66

Maybe , but I'm not happy , I sent in my AC 66 because it was bricked , sent it back in factory box inside another box with 2 inches of filler for protection , what I got back was an AC 66 in a box the router and accessories barely fit in with 2 1/8 inch pieces of foam for protection , 1 antenna was broken , but I have spares NBD . But the router has 1/2 to 1/4 the connection/transfer rate of my old AC 66 and my N-66 I'm using now , that is why I'm upset .

1 the router was sent back to me in a box that is NOT up to Asus standards according to the sheet they sennt me for an RMA , broken antenna proves that ,

2 The router connects at a rate well under specs , or if you like my last AC 66 , I'm basing this on computers and routers that are in the exact same positions , not moving around so I expect around the same levels of performance . N client with AC66 getting connection of 60 - 120 mbps with N 66 getting between 180 - 243 , AC client 80- 160mbps with AC66 getting 240 - 300 with N 66 . My old AC 66 matched or bettered the connection on the N clients , much higher on the AC client .
Not bothering with the 8 other clients in the house , but was getting complaints of buffering and low connection rates from them as well , never had complaints with first AC 66 or now with N-66

ASUS has different markets which handle many different tasks to say the least, and you may have had a bad experience with just a sector of ASUS's repair. Asus DOES have the influence and control to enforce policies regarding customer retention and customer service levels. Shoot them a tweet or wait for their reply on FB for the respected rep to email and they will take care of you from there. But just remember, you had a bad experience with who ASUS employed to take care of your router. It would help to post where it was sent, and what state you are in so ASUS can better narrow down the problem.

Went to the Ontario Canada repair facility , last RMA on my N 66 they sent router packaged in a new box , properly protected . Guess the repair facility has gone downhill , last time the RMA router worked as it should , no complaints ,I expected the same this time around .

Went to the Ontario Canada repair facility , last RMA on my N 66 they sent router packaged in a new box , properly protected . Guess the repair facility has gone downhill , last time the RMA router worked as it should , no complaints ,I expected the same this time around .

Weird. I sent them a defective RT-N12 a few weeks ago for work, also went to Ontario. Replacement actually came in another RT-N12 box (not mine - the serial number on the box sticker was different), so everything came in properly packed. Looks like yours ended up in the hands of someone incompetent :(

Weird. I sent them a defective RT-N12 a few weeks ago for work, also went to Ontario. Replacement actually came in another RT-N12 box (not mine - the serial number on the box sticker was different), so everything came in properly packed. Looks like yours ended up in the hands of someone incompetent :(
Yes was a bit surprised , more than a bit in fact .

Rants about RT-AC66

Jerry.. if your not happy.. to quote Duane from Chumby Inc/Blue Octy .... the exits are clearly marked.. You could always try a different product or pay more for pro gear... There are other options for AC compatibility now.... But im sticking with this one for now....

Hi,
I used both N66 and AC66. Definitely AC66 was better router than N66. Regardless all the routers I had and have at present do what I expect them to do. If, not, I made them to. I am little more than a button pusher. How could you brick the AC66? That would've been very difficult to brick it????!!!!

Hi,
I used both N66 and AC66. Definitely AC66 was better router than N66. Regardless all the routers I had and have at present do what I expect them to do. If, not, I made them to. I am little more than a button pusher. How could you brick the AC66? That would've been very difficult to brick it????!!!!
No Idea how I did it , but I surely did , been pushing buttons for 40 years almost an expert at it . The first AC 66 I had was as good or better signal and transfer rate wise as my N-66 , the one they sent me for the RMA was no where near as capable , and this is between stationary devices , nothing has moved , so performance should be just about equal . This AC 66 cannot stream regular video , never mind HD video I'm sending back the router , hope they return a good unit , properly packaged .