What's new

time 2 upgrade...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aliitp

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

its finally time for to to upgrade, been using the R7000 for the past 7 years on router/bridge setup, i need a future proof router/bridge setup for the next 5+ years, of course main thing in mind is throughput, signal strength and most importantly stable software, the neatgear crap is buggy as hell so am not gonna buy netgear EVER ! from what ive seen and heard linksys is among the best in terms of stability and less bugs occur but a bit lacking in the other 2 departments. is Asus gonna be a stable router and bug free especially on ROuter/Bridge setup ??

Should i invest money in the AX11000, knowing ATM i may NOT get a bridge, but may in the future, or i should better stick to something like the AC5300 ?

one last thing, with AX router on ROuter/Bridge setup, will i really see 1 Gbps Throughput wirelessly or not really the case ???

thanks,

On an RMerlin powered AiMesh setup in wired backhaul mode, you will with AX clients at closer distances. Those distances will vary, depending on the number of antennae the clients have and the type of device it is too (handheld, laptop, desktop or, another Router in
Bridge Mode).

You will not future proof anything for 5 years from today, no matter what you buy. But buying a non-Asus and specifically a non-RMerlin supported router, the chances that you will want to keep it for that long will plummet, guaranteed.

With the requirements you state, the RT-AC5300 is not a router I would consider buying. Not only is it an old AC model that is very close to the R7000 you already have, it is a quirky model too with the fake triband support it offers (as all other current triband routers do too).

A pair of RT-AX88U routers with RMerlin firmware would be the better choice to make instead to achieve your immediate goals and to be able to grow into as you get more and more AX level clients too.

HTH.

You might want to consider a small business setup as you will end up with a better over all platform that can be upgraded independently. Like if you buy now and 6E comes out you only need to upgrade your wireless and not your whole router setup. It will be cheaper in the long run. The better all-in-one high end routers have gotten pretty expensive now days especially when you have to buy 2 or more.

On an RMerlin powered AiMesh setup in wired backhaul mode, you will with AX clients at closer distances. Those distances will vary, depending on the number of antennae the clients have and the type of device it is too (handheld, laptop, desktop or, another Router in
Bridge Mode).

You will not future proof anything for 5 years from today, no matter what you buy. But buying a non-Asus and specifically a non-RMerlin supported router, the chances that you will want to keep it for that long will plummet, guaranteed.

With the requirements you state, the RT-AC5300 is not a router I would consider buying. Not only is it an old AC model that is very close to the R7000 you already have, it is a quirky model too with the fake triband support it offers (as all other current triband routers do too).

A pair of RT-AX88U routers with RMerlin firmware would be the better choice to make instead to achieve your immediate goals and to be able to grow into as you get more and more AX level clients too.

HTH.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,

Actually I was referring to All AC5400, AC5300 out there whether they are ASUS or TP-Link or other brands, my R7000 is i guess dual band, 20/40 MHz only, aren't those supposed to be 20/40/80 MHz ? so supposedly better throughout ?

But NVM AC Routers...

anyways, not sure what this custom FW is all about, is it gonna void the warranty and how stable is an aftermarket custom FW ? i was (and still am) sick tired of all those bugs and glitches in the R7000 (Never again NETGEAR !) so i am looking for something Stable and doesn't give me the headache having to keep chasing the Latest FW (or reverting to an older one) in Hope to fix my ongoing problems since 3+ months, Recently i moved my apartment and been arguing with my ISP about my crappy NEW 250 Mbps internet connection keeps throttling my connection Badly on both WIFI and Ethernet Bridged clients, after lots of work done at their side, i think i discovered the real problem of all those problems are my R7000 Router/Bridge setup, they are dropping the connections, throttling youtube to 240p, and causing all sorts of trouble in my small tiny apartment ! now am running stably on my tiny ISP router with 0 issues for 2 days, i might probably stick with a single router for the time coz my apartment is tiny as i said.

Isn't the GT-AX11000 a better option ? it says Tri Band while the AX88U states Dual Band Only, how much Throughout can i get (best case) ? can i see 1Gbps Wi-Fi throughput with any of those new AX Routers ? and is their FW or the alternative one any good ??? (coming from a crappy netgear FW)

thanks,

You might want to consider a small business setup as you will end up with a better over all platform that can be upgraded independently. Like if you buy now and 6E comes out you only need to upgrade your wireless and not your whole router setup. It will be cheaper in the long run. The better all-in-one high end routers have gotten pretty expensive now days especially when you have to buy 2 or more.

i see ur talking about a Mesh setup right ?

my R7000 is i guess dual band, 20/40 MHz only

You're going to waste your money on something you probably don't need. Your Netgear R7000 is a dual band AC1900 router and it supports 80MHz wide channel. It's a hardware equivalent to Asus RT-AC68U, still used widely today. It can feed a single common AC 2x2 device with 350-400Mbps throughput easily. How many WiFi devices you have in your tiny apartment and how many need Gigabit throughput? What exactly AX 5300/11000 3-band router will help you with?

Last edited:
You're going to waste your money on something you probably don't need. Your Netgear R7000 is a dual band AC1900 router and it supports 80MHz wide channel. It's a hardware equivalent to Asus RT-AC68U, still used widely today. It can feed a single common AC 2x2 device with 350-400Mbps throughput easily. How many WiFi devices you have in your tiny apartment and how many need Gigabit throughput? What exactly AX 5300/11000 3-band router will help you with?

thanks but i know my router pretty well, its 20/40 Mhz only capable up to 1300 Mbps, at least it says so in the router interface to choose between 20 or 20/40 Mhz band, after reading further on SNB it seems OFDMA is not supported by most high end AX routers such as the AX11000, so i guess ill hold on to my R7000 for another year till a decent, future proof AX router is finally out there !...

@aliitp the RT-AX88U supports OFDMA on both up/down bands from 384.19 Alpha 3.

thanks but i know my router pretty well, its 20/40 Mhz only capable up to 1300 Mbps

Exactly. AC 3 x MIMO @ 80MHz 256-QAM is 1300Mbps.
20/40MHz operation may be limited by your region. I had R7000 before. Was using it @ 80MHz no problem.

Exactly. AC 3 x MIMO @ 80MHz is 1300Mbps. 20/40MHz operation may be limited by your region. I had R7000 before. Was using it @ 80MHz no problem.

pal, i have the oldest R7000, which i purchased ONE it was released maybe 7 years ago or so, it has NO MIMO, i guess an improved version came out of the R7000 with MIMO support, just not mine i know for sure, thanks,

@aliitp the RT-AX88U supports OFDMA on both up/down bands from 384.19 Alpha 3.
thanks but how does it compare to the AX11000 , which is faster in terms of throughput and bandwidth it got to offer ?! and can u use two of those as main and bridge ?!

it has NO MIMO

You need to learn the basics first. MIMO, not MU-MIMO. I'm trying to save you money, you resist. Your router is definitely 80MHz capable. Original Netgear R7000 released back in 2013. BCM4709A0 CPU and BCM4360 radios. If yours is limited by region requirements, even purchasing AX 35000 won't allow you >40MHz wide channel. Learn and choose wisely.

thanks but how does it compare to the AX11000 , which is faster in terms of throughput and bandwidth it got to offer ?! and can u use two of those as main and bridge ?!

It doesn't compare. It's better! :)

No RMerlin support for the AX11000 equals a 'do not buy' status on that model from me at least.

Why do you think it's faster? A fake/marketing 'Triband' designation doesn't make it better, or faster.

Oh, I just read previous @aliitp posts. What? The 2 routers are 5m away? In the tiny apartment? I see potentially maximum 4.8Gbps AX link speed between 2 RT-AX88U routers and 1Gbps LAN ports on both sides. It is going to be an amazing setup. Waiting impatiently to see the outcome of this. o_O

Because 11000>6000? You're ruining Asus' business right now.

no need to be rude in delivering what ever knowledge you are trying to give ! screw MIMO or MU-MIMO, dont take me down that road, am referring to actual bandwidth, mine is up to 1.3Gbps, my router is 7 years old, maybe older than that, my understanding is my R7000 Got up to 1.3Gbps, and from my tests I get up to 700 Mbps Throughput, am not following daily wifi industry like you and it can be REALLY confusing distinguishing between all these terms: bands, channels 2x2, 3x3 etc... because am not a techy like yourself :) am simply consulting in THIS thread to make a decision whether to INVEST in the recent AX Routers or NOT ! And which One to get... I asked you guys which one among the two Asus are the best, yet you ask me this:
" What exactly AX 5300/11000 3-band router will help you with? "

Well, I just need THE HIGHEST END, Future Proof Router, that will give me at least 1 Gbps THROUGHPUT Ideally in a Bridge/Router Setup.

My understanding with an IDEAL Router/Bridge setup you will get the best throughput possible, it will not get even close to announced bandwidth, I know that for damn sure coz ive been around since 802.11b announced at 54 Mbps with actual throughput of near 24 Mbps ! But things started to get confusing after that introducing Dual Bands, Streams, MU-MIMO, and etc... (having this discussion i finally got to know the difference between all three)

i asked a pretty clear question up there:
"which is faster in terms of throughput and bandwidth it got to offer ?!" (I came to know both Asus(s) got 4.8 Gbps Bandwidth on 5 GHz Channel, right ?? However the AX88U is a better option, Why ??

L&LD replied clearly saying:
"
No RMerlin support for the AX11000 equals a 'do not buy' status on that model from me at least.
"

Ok so now I guess we are down to the RT-AX88U Only so far !

Is the AX88U going to be (Future Proof?) finalized as an 802.11 AX Standard/Revision, or is it a Draft that may or may Not make it to the Final AX revision ?...

>> The 2 routers are 5m away? In the tiny apartment?
I will stick to One only coz am in a Tiny apartment, no need to spend $$$$$ when one router is enough, are you saying having a second Bridge can give faster than 1 Gbps throughput and Gigabit ethernet client will probably be throttled ??

If 802.11 AX is actually faster than Gigabit Ethernet interface, I can see future routers coming out with maybe 10-Gigabit Ethernet ?!...

Why do you think it's faster? A fake/marketing 'Triband' designation doesn't make it better, or faster.

I was fooled for a moment by the 11000 number they are announcing, and I though Band meant faster throughput/bandwidth, but googling this stuff up finally cleared things to me:

2.4 GHz / 5 GHz (Dual-Band)
2.4 GHz / 5 GHz / 5 GHz (Tri-Band)

So basically Three simultaneous networks (Tri-Band) each having its own bandwidth,

I guess both those Asus(s) router will always give the same speed on 5 Ghz and thats what matters to me !...

thanks a lot !...

@aliitp, it's even a little worse than that. They take the 5GHz radio and duplicate it. Then they allow the 'low' channels on one radio and the 'high' channels on the other. If you're lucky, one of them may even do 160MHz channel width. One (maybe), but not both.

The only time you need a three radio/dual-band router is when you're pushing over sixty wireless devices (concurrently) on 5GHz. And at that point, my suggestion is always to just buy another router instead (more reliable, more usable into the future and less quirky) to avoid all the marketing traps, assumptions, and lies that await the unsuspecting buyers out there.

@aliitp, it's even a little worse than that. They take the 5GHz radio and duplicate it. Then they allow the 'low' channels on one radio and the 'high' channels on the other. If you're lucky, one of them may even do 160MHz channel width. One (maybe), but not both.

The only time you need a three radio/dual-band router is when you're pushing over sixty wireless devices (concurrently) on 5GHz. And at that point, my suggestion is always to just buy another router instead (more reliable, more usable into the future and less quirky) to avoid all the marketing traps, assumptions, and lies that await the unsuspecting buyers out there.

any reliable benchmarks out there showing real throughput between the AX88U and a wifi 6 ASUS adapter ?? :confused: do you think a 320 MHz Wi-Fi 6 will be released ? the current ones can go up to 160 MHz i believe !...

just trying to decide on getting this router or not !...

thanks,

no need to be rude in delivering what ever knowledge you are trying to give !

I've tried 3 times already. Your reaction was "pal... thanks". Let me try again:

mine is up to 1.3Gbps

It is indeed. 3 streams on 80MHz wide channel with 256-QAM. You're killing the WiFi spectrum for no reason with this bridge. Don't be surprised you never get on other devices what you expect. You are going to kill the entire spectrum with those new AX routers pursuing your 1Gbps over WiFi throughput dream. I don't understand the idea behind it. You know better, I guess.