What's new

Time for a new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AX88U that so far has performed well.

However I just got a free upgrade from my ISP to 1000mbps.

Seems like the router cannot handle more than about 700 mbps (down and up) with a PC connected through a cat 6 cable. Nobody else was using the connection at the time of measurement. Does anybody know what the max obtainable WAN speed for the RT-AX88U is?

If the router is the bottleneck, is the zenwifi Pro XT12 an alternative? There is a sale here with a pair for about $650.

My opinion is that no action is warranted yet
  • ISP may provide 1000 Mbps service but cannot consistently deliver it
  • One device is not likely capable of using 1000 Mbps because CPU constrained
  • Most sites are not capable of delivering over 300-400 Mbps
  • Do you ever have multiple devices downloading full throttle from different sites simultaneously?

I have the same device and on cable it goes to the ISP advertised limit (940 Mbps DL/UL); on wireless 6 it spins around 750. I find these numbers extremely satisfying given I have around 20 devices constantly connected (phones, watches, speakers, tv, pcs etc)

Also consider the capabilities of the ISP device the router connects to. I had an older DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem that couldn’t deliver upgraded ISP speeds of 800 Mbps until I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

AX88U can easily do 1G!
Make sure you don't run features that are known to hamper the speed. Search the forum for that list - Aiprotection, bandwidth limit on guest etc.
Although it's a bit annoying AX88U didn't get a new firmware in quite a while, it's not a dead product and it stands fairly well considering its price.