What's new

Time for a router upgrade (to AC-86U)....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HallStevenson

Regular Contributor
We've used an RT-N66 for years, running Merlin's firmware from the start and then John's firmware. With all of the devices we have connected nowadays, I think it's being pushed to it's limits and am looking to upgrade potentially. I'm leaning towards the AC86U at this point. I don't keep up with all of the latest and greatest but it sounds like this is a capable router. Cost / budget is a factor and I'd like to stay in the $150-175 range and this is at the limit of that.

Anything I should be aware of with this router ? We don't need anywhere near the WAN speeds that it's capable of but the CPU and RAM it has sound like a big plus with it.

I'd also like to look at re-configuring the N66 as an access point potentially. It doesn't support ASUS' AiMesh (unless John added it and I haven't looked for it) but I can still configure it the old-fashioned way, yeah ?

We've used an RT-N66 for years, running Merlin's firmware from the start and then John's firmware. With all of the devices we have connected nowadays, I think it's being pushed to it's limits and am looking to upgrade potentially. I'm leaning towards the AC86U at this point. I don't keep up with all of the latest and greatest but it sounds like this is a capable router. Cost / budget is a factor and I'd like to stay in the $150-175 range and this is at the limit of that.

Anything I should be aware of with this router ? We don't need anywhere near the WAN speeds that it's capable of but the CPU and RAM it has sound like a big plus with it.

I'd also like to look at re-configuring the N66 as an access point potentially. It doesn't support ASUS' AiMesh (unless John added it and I haven't looked for it) but I can still configure it the old-fashioned way, yeah ?

You have a good plan although I would splurge for a second 86U, to get the capable AC coverage via AiMesh, and to have ready hardware backup for the 86U router. Your call for your needs... 86U 2-pack pricing.

My 2xRT-AC86U install notes.

OE

Last edited:
(2) of them are out of the question for now, simply because of cost. My thinking with the 2nd router is really just "better than nothing". We've only got the N66U for the entire house and overall, it is fine for our needs. I have the N66U centrally located already, which helps, and the replacement will go in the same place. I know a more modern secondary router would be better for AiMesh integration but really shouldn't be necessary, right ?

Just read your notes for your setup. Quite impressive ! Do I understand right about your house being 3 x 1650 square foot, almost 5000 square feet total ? If so, that's not a typical house. Ours is only 2200 sq ft ! ;)

I would take an RT-AX58U with AX-wifi standard to be more future proof for even less. And it got Merlin-support too. AC86U have some strange problems (like reboot wont power on) which arent solved since it has been introduced.

We've only got the N66U for the entire house and overall, it is fine for our needs.
When I went from an N66U to an AC86U I was pleasantly surprised with a noticeable improvement in range/performance. If the N66U is fine then the AC86U should be "finer". If you didn't need an AP before you shouldn't need one now.
... thinking with the 2nd router is really just "better than nothing"
I was lazy so I just kept mine for a backup, although, as an AP it might give you wireless access for the garage or back yard or something "new"?

Last edited:
I would take an RT-AX58U with AX-wifi standard to be more future proof for even less. And it got Merlin-support too. AC86U have some strange problems (like reboot wont power on) which arent solved since it has been introduced.

The RT-AX58U may be a better choice at this point, but only if you have no 3-4 stream clients.

Just read your notes for your setup. Quite impressive ! Do I understand right about your house being 3 x 1650 square foot, almost 5000 square feet total ? If so, that's not a typical house. Ours is only 2200 sq ft ! ;)

One 86U in the clear, high and central should cover 2200 sq ft and then some. Keep the N66 for backup or its LAN switch, but I'd avoid having it broadcast more WiFi, if possible.

OE

AC86U have some strange problems (like reboot wont power on) which arent solved since it has been introduced.

Yeah, this forum is loaded with this complaint. Not.

If you get a defective box... any box, you replace it.

OE

But wouldn't the extra streams still be useful ... with multiple single stream clients?

Quite possibly. I was just trying to find a balance point between AC and jumping on AX. Manufacturers seem to be pushing so many ENTRY level AX routers with this new generation, but these entry level routers are still relatively expensive.

Quite possibly. I was just trying to find a balance point between AC and jumping on AX. Manufacturers seem to be pushing so many ENTRY level AX routers with this new generation, but these entry level routers are still relatively expensive.
This goes back to what I said in how I don't keep up with this stuff (like I used to). I've seen these "AX" routers but knew nothing about them. I saw the referral to the AX58 but didn't find it initially as some places refer to it as AX3000. I've found it now though and it's not as readily available as others. Same with the AX56. Are these really "entry level" even though they're $150+ ?

One 86U in the clear, high and central should cover 2200 sq ft and then some. Keep the N66 for backup or its LAN switch, but I'd avoid having it broadcast more WiFi, if possible.
Why not use it as an access point ? "Conflicting" WiFi signals, simply not necessary for our space ? I really don't think I would need to use it but the thought crossed my mind.

This goes back to what I said in how I don't keep up with this stuff (like I used to). I've seen these "AX" routers but knew nothing about them. I saw the referral to the AX58 but didn't find it initially as some places refer to it as AX3000. I've found it now though and it's not as readily available as others. Same with the AX56. Are these really "entry level" even though they're $150+ ?

In my opinion they are, because they are both two stream routers. The AX58U(AX3000) differs in that it offers 160Mhz channel bandwidth vs the AX56U's 80Mhz (hence 1800). At this time you will find few client devices that use 160Mhz channels.

I myself have a AC86U that I've had for a couple years and a second one for backup. Today everything in the house revolves around Wifi and internet access, so I place a high priority on redundancy. When the Wifi 6e routers come to market I will upgrade then. By then I will probably also have several Wifi 6/6e client devices in the house.

Reactions: Gar
When the Wifi 6e routers come to market I will upgrade then. By then I will probably also have several Wifi 6/6e client devices in the house.
Heh, I don't know what WiFi 6 even is ! Fact that we're still running an N66U says something about our "needs" too. :D:D:D

It would be nice if Spectrum bumped up our 'standard' speed. It's still just 100 Mb/s here because there's no competition. They have no reason to increase it. I could pay for 400 Mb/s but I've never paid for their faster tiers and really don't want to.

Why not use it as an access point ? "Conflicting" WiFi signals, simply not necessary for our space ? I really don't think I would need to use it but the thought crossed my mind.

The 86U is likely to be enough WiFi for your space. Adding more WiFi does not help... adding more WLANs/SSIDs does not help.

You are on an upgrade track that puts you behind the curve on price and new tech trouble. If you stay the course (AC), you will retain that savings in time and trouble and dollars... imo.

OE

You are on an upgrade track that puts you behind the curve on price and new tech trouble. If you stay the course (AC), you will retain that savings in time and trouble and dollars... imo.
Am I understanding you right, you're suggesting while it's slightly older tech and not the latest (not going to say "latest and greatest"), it's reliable ?

Am I understanding you right, you're suggesting while it's slightly older tech and not the latest (not going to say "latest and greatest"), it's reliable ?

Yes. And I'm respecting your track record... you are still using a wireless-N router most people retired 4-5 years ago.

OE

...you are still using a wireless-N router most people retired 4-5 years ago.
Haha ! Well, to be fair, "most people" would refer to people who frequent online forums discussing networking hardware in your context, IMO. ;) Outside of forums like this, "most people" either use the modem/router that their ISP provides or they replace their routers when it dies. Actually, based on John9527's thread, I'm one of many still using N-routers.

I would go with less troublesome and much newer AX58u which got Merlin support now and seems to be the 68U successor with long support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!