What's new

Time Machine Backups RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blackpirates

New Around Here
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of using the RT-AC66U with Time Machine? I'm using a 3TB HDD connected to the router.
I know there is the possibility of mounting a .sparsebundle to my MacBook, which works, but only for a short period: Backing up works, but after a few backups I only get the message that it's read-only, so I can start all over with backing up.
Hope somebody can help!

Time Machine requires support for the proprietary HFS+ filesystem, which is not supported by this router.

So there is no software-wise solution? Because I've seen people make it work with a mod.
Thanks ;)

Not sure how they are getting around the lack of HFS+ support then - maybe it can somewhat work with NTFS/ext3 disks.

Note that this is something that might change in the future. I've seen hints of Asus looking into Tuxera's HFS+ driver in recent code changes, which would possibly give them a license to an HFS+-compatible driver at a cheaper price than what Paragon would charge them (Asus is paying Paragon for an NTFS licence for MIPS, and an NTFS + HFS+ licence for the AC68U).

Personally, I just think that it's yet another proprietary Apple technology that needs to die, or see its specs getting opened so customers wouldn't be locked down to using Apple-made hardware for full, proper support.

Does anyone know if there is any possibility of using the RT-AC66U with Time Machine? I'm using a 3TB HDD connected to the router.
I know there is the possibility of mounting a .sparsebundle to my MacBook, which works, but only for a short period: Backing up works, but after a few backups I only get the message that it's read-only, so I can start all over with backing up.
Hope somebody can help!

I know that this won't help much but it might help reduce your frustration:

I have used Time Machine backups going to my NAS Raid.
Good news: - It works

Worse news: The backups take much longer than just plugging in a disc.

Now the bad news: I could never get them to restore properly from the NAS.

Now I just use a direct firewire connection HDD > iMac or plug a disc into the Macbook Pro and keep that in a safe place.

I also use Carbon Copy cloner and have a clone disc ready just in case the internal discs fail.

Plus a few more copies of important stuff on other disc / raids

Bit of a late reply but I have spoken to ASUS about 3 months ago and it's suppose to be coming in a firmware update. If you don't already know it's available on the AC68U which is what prompted me to contact ASUS directly.

Attachments

• asus ac68u time machine.jpg
    asus ac68u time machine.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,130
Bit of a late reply but I have spoken to ASUS about 3 months ago and it's suppose to be coming in a firmware update. If you don't already know it's available on the AC68U which is what prompted me to contact ASUS directly.

Fingers crossed that this happens.

Time Machine requires support for the proprietary HFS+ filesystem, which is not supported by this router.

TimeMachine over the network is not dependent on HFS+

What is needed is AFP support (netatalk) and avahi (for Bonjour service advertisement) - some tweaking is needed on the Mac side on the terminal.

TimeMachine over the network is not dependent on HFS+

What is needed is AFP support (netatalk) and avahi (for Bonjour service advertisement) - some tweaking is needed on the Mac side on the terminal.

People have reported all kind of issues when trying to use Time Machine with an NTFS-formatted HDD.

People have reported all kind of issues when trying to use Time Machine with an NTFS-formatted HDD.

Yep... SparseBundles are pretty particular about what FS and device they're on - they're intended for local attached storage (FW/USB/Thunderbolt) - most solutions I've seen try to handle the NAS remote volume the same as if it were a local mounted drive.

Bad idea...

Apple only supports TimeMachine backups on their gear, or on a local mounted/formatted HFS+ volume... and even then, it can go wrong, esp on major release upgrades...

Good resource here -- http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

sfx

my 2 cent on the subject of Time Machine without Apple gear:

I use Synology (support HFS+, Bonjour). I run synology server in a Virtual Machine (virtual box). 100% free. Up and running for 18 months now. Did one successful restore.
you put your virtual machine on any computer, it uses very little system ressource.
bonus: you get to enjoy all other Synology applications.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!