What's new

Time Scheduling Issues? 380_68+?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenhlan

Regular Contributor
I've used the Time Scheduler function under Parental Control for the past few years to manage my kids access time.

I can't put my finger on it, but since I want to say around 380_68, the Time Scheduler has not been functioning correctly.

I can't put my finger on it, rather it is not working at all or intermittent or what.

Had noticed it a bit in the past few weeks, but kind of hit me last night when my son was still online, after a set hour.

Something isn't working correctly or consistently. Been running Merlin for a few years, and this is the only a more recent occurrence.

Currently running 380_68_2 on an AC68, but it might have been affecting 380_68.

I ran 380_67 for a while, and don't recall a similar issue.

Firewall? Nat? iptable issue?

Anyone else use Parental Controls/Time Scheduling having issues?

A couple of people have reported issues with the time scheduling but that could just be coincidence. Log onto the router with Telnet/SSH and issue the following command, we will then be able to see what is going on.

iptables-save -t filter

A couple of people have reported issues with the time scheduling but that could just be coincidence. Log onto the router with Telnet/SSH and issue the following command, we will then be able to see what is going on.

iptables-save -t filter
Does time scheduling invoke cru/cron? I've noticed some cru jobs disappearing overnight recently.

iptables-save -t filter

Here is an attachment - I have replaced the Mac addresses with the TYPESOFDEVICES.

Also attached is a notional schedule similar for all the devices...(I understand the Cellphones schedules are likely useless as they connect to the cell network instead)

All are connected wirelessly.

I'm a laymen, can't see anything glaring above, but let me know.

I do have some direct firewall entries in there, but otherwise, let me know.

I will continue to monitor and characterize.

Attachments

• TWI_Time.JPG
    TWI_Time.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 534
  • iptable_filter.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 407
I can't see anything wrong with that. I think you'll have to do a bit more investigating.

The only thing I can think of is it might be caused by the router not using the correct time or time zone (despite what it says in the webUI). Has your location changed to/from daylight savings time recently? Are the schedules operating one hour out? If so, perhaps a reboot would sort it out.

One other thing to note; I notice you have an entry called REPEATERKIDSGUESTSSID. Depending on exactly how the repeater works any devices connected to it might not be effected by these rules.

Thanks CT.

Yeah - I'll continue to look/characterize.

We're still on Daylight Savings Time, so that might be something to dig into, whether one hour out or not.

Will dig into the repeater set up also, whether if connected to the main router of through the repeater is a characterizable difference.

Thanks for taking a look and the handy command to take a peek.

BTW - Does that command 'save' the file anywhere? I pasted the contents directly from the command screen.

BTW - Does that command 'save' the file anywhere? I pasted the contents directly from the command screen.
No it doesn't, it just goes to the screen. If you want to save a copy of the output you can send it to a file as follows:

iptables-save -t filter > my_filter_rules.txt