What's new

Tiny UI feature request - Temperature displayed on the first page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iget 160-230 Mbps trough OpenVPN with KillSwitch active. Eastern Europe. Don't know what to tell you, it's probably @RMerlin 's & the rest of the dev team's merit. Here are the results from my spdMerlin (v3.6.1) script that runs on the USB 2.0 stick Entware:
That's a WAN test in the screenshot, and not the VPN client interface.

on which I will torrent directly from the router, with no VPN (other connections all go trough OpenVPN), thous faster.

Obviously, you know your situation better than anyone, but just out of curiosity, why do you torrent *around* your VPN? Many people use VPNs specifically for the purpose of safely torrenting.

Also if you really want to put your router performance under a scope, you could put Home Assistant in a VM or on a RasPi and create some quick SSH scripts to monitor pretty much every aspect of it. Sure, you can do the same thing with your choice of database - Influx is quite good at this - but HA can build the same eye-popping charts AND integrate them with your voice assistant, so you can actually say "Alexa, what is my 2.4 radio temperature?" and get a reply in your favorite thermal unit. I don't have a screenshot of my temp sensors handy, but this one shows two of three CPU utilization charts from my routers. You can also do things like control guest networks and change/enable/disable VPNs. I am toying with having Suricata verbally announce incoming attacks, but wifey would almost certainly get bent hearing "CVE blah blah blah attempted from Russian IP"

These graphs are mostly eye candy (for me), in that they exist "because they are cool" and not because I ever actually use them, but meh, maybe you do care. You could set them up in less than an hour.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200726-174457_Brave.png
    Screenshot_20200726-174457_Brave.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 122
My router was always between 90-93º celsius.

I've bought one of those:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDGXWC3/?tag=snbforums-20

The fan is quite noisy, but i've removed the black cotton thingy, put the fan on minimum power (no noise at all) and now I'm having 66-69º Celsius, which is pretty good.

And I didn't have to glue anything, this specifically fan has some plastic things that attach on router.

Edit: no mods, no cutting, glueing or whatsoever - and it does the job. I'm not crazy about router temps (my only concerns are my peugeot temps and PC), however a little fan like this do the job for a couple of euros.
In a 4-5 years I'm buying a new router, so....

Last edited:
I get 160-230 Mbps trough OpenVPN with KillSwitch active.

No, you don't. You may eventually reach ~60Mbps with AES-128. You hacked badly a router for no reason with an intention to use it in next 10 years for something it can't do. Suggestion - an A/C unit in the room will cool you both down preventing further bad ideas. :)

why do you torrent *around* your VPN?

Because I'm in Eastern Europe, and torrenting is not (yet) illegal, sanctioned or monitored. Basically everyone does it. Obviously I get faster speeds when torrenting directly on WAN, not trough a VPN.

Yes, the russians & chinese ping my address, too, for some reason. I have the whole countries on block.

You hacked badly a router for no reason with an intention to use it in next 10 years for something it can't do. Suggestion - an A/C unit in the room will cool you both down preventing further bad ideas. :)

Yes, running an A/C unit 24/7 to cool THE ENTIRE HOUSE is preferable to attaching $3 fans directly to the back of the router and removing the plastic that restricts the airflow. That is a much better "hack"! </sarcasm>

I'd like to point out that the moon is full and there are a bunch of planets in retrograde, just in case anybody is wondering why there are petty disagreements over esoteric and irrelevant fluff happening on a usually cordial web forum.

That is all.

I applaud your initiative and if having fans makes you happy, go for it! I like to tinker with things, even if they aren't "required" it is still fun. I put fans in my Raspberry Pi case for example along with a temperature sensor and wrote code to change the fan speed automatically. Not "necessary", but it was a fun project.

I just run the device until it drops dead. IF it last a year, it lasts a year. Always a good excuse to get the next new shiny thing out there :)

Because I'm in Eastern Europe, and torrenting is not (yet) illegal, sanctioned or monitored. Basically everyone does it. Obviously I get faster speeds when torrenting directly on WAN, not trough a VPN.

Yes, the russians & chinese ping my address, too, for some reason. I have the whole countries on block.

Makes perfect sense, thanks. Guess I am so accustomed to assuming that everything I do is examined by "five eyes" that I forget that many people have different circumstances.

Another advantage of cooling everything to ~50 degrees: Now you can OVERCLOCK your router!

Found a nice article with the instructions: https://www.lurch.uk/2018/03/overclocking-asus-dsl-ac68u-or-rt-ac68u/

This isn't anything new as this is a 7 year old router.

You may get an extra 200mhz from a AC86U it doesn't provide that much extra performance as those ARM cores are older in this model. And it lacks AES so you will hit about 60mbps on vpn traffic.

This is an entirely off-topic and rhetorical question, but why in the world is the US version so much cheaper? The exchange rate is only around 1.34...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721SYYTF/?tag=snbforums-20

You are right there is no reason it should be 3x the price in CAD.

Magnetic....??? I was talking other more esoteric and fluffy irrelevancies. but you're presenting as a bot, so I understand why you took it there

From RT-AC68U, not AC86U. The two model numbers are confusing.

You mean... no hardware feelings? Understood. Sensitive humans. o_O

Thanks that was a typo I think everyone knows the model were talking about in the thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!