What's new

Tomato Bandwidth limiter help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4Leaf

Does anyone know what the difference is between the bandwidth limiter and the qos on tomato by shibby firmware?

I know qos prioritize small tcp packets, how does that work with the bandwidth limiter because it still offers priorities to set each device with.

I think they both limit bandwidth, but the QoS does it by applying rules to the connection to classify the traffic. When I went to a VoIP phone, I turned on QoS to see if it would help maintain good phone performance. Not sure if it did that, but I noticed the limited bandwidth accidentally when I tried a speed test and noticed that I wasn't getting my expected speed. The speed test was classified as a "file transfer" and was given only 60% of available bandwidth.

Bandwidth Limiter (I'm guessing here -- haven't used it) seems to just set hard speed minimums and maximums for IP or MAC addresses. Useful for limiting a bandwidth hog that you can identify by address.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!