What's new

Tomato by Shibby [RELEASE] 110 out now

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GM4X4

New Around Here
[RELEASE] 110

- Add „BT” target

- Remove Ebtables from mini builds (make they smaller)

- usb_modeswitch: ver. 1.2.6 with data package 2013-06-07

- Tomato Update Notification System

- miniDLNA update to 1.0.26

- Miniupnpd update to 1.8 (20130521)

- Add codes to support HG320, H218N and RG200E-CA – thx BWQ

- basic-network – add ttyUSB devices to 6

- stealthmode – some improvements

- Change characters limit for snmp fields

- OpenVPN update to 2.3.2

- dnsmasq update to 2.67cs7 – thx Kevin

- many cstats updates – thx RMerlin and Kevin

- a lot of updates and improvements of IPv6 – thx Kevin

- Expose PPPoe variables – thx Kevin

- add netfilter xt_string support

- DNScrypt-proxy: update to 1.3.0

- DNScrypt-proxy: add custom startup option in GUI

- many iptraffic updates – thx RMerlin

- RSA keylength to 1024 for router cert

- Grow-up cookies expire time – thx blackwind

Can you check if it has gigabit ethernet speeds? That was what was preventing me from installing it before.

Want to see if it resolves the Sony Mkv DLNA issue. Apparently the miniDLNA 1.0.26 does, but I have yet to try it. This mini dlna issue is what prevents me from updating my Asus firmware as I need custom firmware to play mkv files over my router to my Sony BDP.

Please and thank you.

I'm new to TomatoUSB so perhaps this isn't what you were asking, but on my fresh flash of this build on my RT-N66U, it shows my ethernet port states. It shows one as 1000mbps, and the other two are showing 100mbps. I believe my TiVo and Ooma only have 100mbps, whereas my NAS in port 1 has gb ethernet... so I believe it to be accurate - not sure if this is what you were asking.

And so far, this build seems to be quite snappy.

5Ghz

Both most active Tomato versions creators Victek and Shibby use in last versions broadcom 5100 drivers.
Should be stable...

Thought I'd give this version of tomato a try, seems to work well, very sold so far. Getting 450Mbps connection on 5GHz. Everything seems to work, just one thing that I can do with 270.26b that I can't do with tomato. But then tomato has some stuff that I can't do with 354 or 370, namely a fast, stable 5GHz. wireless connection *smile*.

Don't know how long I'll use this version of tomato...when the wireless driver in the Asus and RMerlin firmware is fixed so that it works properly with my wireless adapter (or I acquire a wireless adapter that it does work properly with), then I'll probably go and use that firmware *smile*.

Thought I'd give this version of tomato a try, seems to work well, very sold so far. Getting 450Mbps connection on 5GHz. Everything seems to work, just one thing that I can do with 270.26b that I can't do with tomato. But then tomato has some stuff that I can't do with 354 or 370, namely a fast, stable 5GHz. wireless connection *smile*.

Don't know how long I'll use this version of tomato...when the wireless driver in the Asus and RMerlin firmware is fixed so that it works properly with my wireless adapter (or I acquire a wireless adapter that it does work properly with), then I'll probably go and use that firmware *smile*.

How did you get Tomato installed? I tried it via the web interface and got an error message (something with wrong firmware or file version). I know I am supposed to install Tomato via the firmware recovery tool provided by ASUS, but this is just for Windows and I don't have that in my office.

You get the utility from Asus download site :
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/#support_Download and as you did not mention what Windows version you have from there choose the one which is yours and then Utility. What happened with the CD you got with the unit ?

How did you get Tomato installed? I tried it via the web interface and got an error message (something with wrong firmware or file version). I know I am supposed to install Tomato via the firmware recovery tool provided by ASUS, but this is just for Windows and I don't have that in my office.

What I meant to say was I have NO WINDOWS but OS X and Linux computers. So the ASUS tool won't help me much.

Boot the router into recovery mode (by pressing the Reset button while turning it on). Configure your network interface to use 192.168.1.100, then use your web browser to access the firmware recovery page at http://192.168.1.1.

You could also use a Windows VM running on Linux or UNIX (quite common, you can use Virtual Box or VMware Player if you have Windows media and a license) to do this. A Windows VM is quite easy to make and use these days *smile*. I have a Linux VM that I use on my Windows 8 desktop system, very handy.

For this, I did use the Asus "Rescue" utility (recovery utility) on my Windows 8 desktop to install tomato. As RMerlin says, you can also use the web GUI mini-recovery thing, if you can get there *smile*.

Ok , but you should have written what you actually meant in the first place to get a meaningful answer for your problem.

Well, I wrote "... but this is just for Windows and I don't have that in my office." I thought that would be clear. Sorry.

After having my router a month running Merlin 26b and not overly impressed with my connection, I'm giving Tomato a try. I just want it all to work like my old WRT54GL did for years, smooth and constant. I will keep checking back for when ASUS and/or Merlin update the drivers. As I do like the interface and the work Merlin puts into it.

Well, I wrote "... but this is just for Windows and I don't have that in my office." I thought that would be clear. Sorry.

Clear enough for me:).

I'm still debating: Try Tomato or go the easier way and install the latest Merlin. I'm on 4.220 Merlin now.

What are biggest advantages of one over the other?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!