What's new

TP-Link 3600 vs. equivalent Linksys (or more expensive EA-4500)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Griffon

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I want to buy a dual-band wireless router with Gigabit LAN, in preparation for a NAS. I would prefer the router share a USB drive "acceptably" until I can purchase a NAS. It will be used in a 100 m2 apartment flat.

Netgear is not sold here in Turkey, and as ASUS we only have the 2-years-old RT-N56U at 180 $ including tax.

I was originally thinking about the Linksys EA4500, also at 180 $. In the meanwhile the EA6500 arrived at 210 $. Then I read the news about Cisco "getting rid of" Linksys. Should I avoid purchasing an expensive Linksys router, in light of these news?

As an alternative, the TP-Link WDR3600 is sold at 90 $. Gigabit ports, dual-band, but slow USB sharing.

Comparable Linksys routers in Turkey: EA2700 at 90 $ (no USB ports), EA3500 at 130 $ (comparable to TP-Link spec-wise).

Do you think I should get the TP-Link? It has a good price but the firmware is a bit too simple and there is no guest network. Also, SMB sharing seems to be slow.

How's the EA3500 at file sharing? Is Cisco Cloud Connect - Linksys Smart Wi-Fi "optional" on routers other than the EA6500?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your replies!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!